Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory
YOUNGSTOWN, OH- A goal with 3:04 remaining in the game sealed the game for the Youngstown Phantoms (6-7-0-2) as they defeated the Central Illinois Flying Aces 4-3 Friday night at Grossinger Motors Arena.
Bradley Marek started the game off with a bang as he got the Flying Aces on the board just 1:47 into the game as he redirected a shot through the five-hole of Jon Mor (24 saves). Cal Kiefiuk would double their lead on a breakaway and then the Phantoms would begin to apply the pressure.
Trevor Kuntar cut the Phantoms deficit in half at the 14:27 mark of the first period as he picked up a rebound and banged it home. Jack Malone would tie the game just over a minute later as he scored on a nifty backhand shot and the game would enter the first break deadlocked at two apiece.
Jeremy Davidson would score the lone goal in the second period. A bouncing puck jumped over the stick of a Phantoms defender and he carried it into the Phantoms zone and fired a wrister from just inside the left circle to regain the lead for the Aces.
The Phantoms would continue to apply pressure out of the second intermission and would be rewarded on the Power Play. Connor MacEachern sent a puck to Malone at the top of the right circle who was able to send a pass through the slot that was redirected into the net by Brett Murray to tie the game for the Phantoms.
The goal would add to the Phantoms momentum and they would take the lead off the rush as Liam Robertson crashed through the slot with speed and lifted the puck on his backhand over the blocker of Flying Aces netminder Mitchell Gibson to give the Phantoms the lead and the victory.
Both teams return to action in the second to last matchup between the Phantoms and Flying Aces this season. Puck drop is scheduled for 8:07 and the broadcast is available on HockeyTV.
By the Numbers
Shots - 33
Saves - 24
Power Play - 1/4
Penalty Kill - 2/2
Goals - Kuntar, Malone, Murray (PP), Robertson
Assists - Barnaby, Dobay, MacEachern (2), Murray, Malone, Cassaro
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Capitols in Overtime, 4-3 - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Stingy at Young Arena - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- 3 RoughRiders to Compete in World Junior a Challenge - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Capitols Host Steel Friday - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Gear up for Thanksgiving Weekend Series - Youngstown Phantoms
- Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shane Pinto Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Set for Two at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Nodler and O'Reilly Named to Team USA Roster for World Junior A Challenge - Fargo Force
- Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Players to Compete in 2018 World Junior a Challenge - USHL
- Hawks Celebrate Another Alumni Call-Up - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Black Hawks Remember Pearl Harbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League Team to Take Ice with Helmets Painted by Local Amatuer Artists to Raise Money for Young Cancer Patients - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Announce Roster Moves - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Youngstown Phantoms Stories
- Boston Bruins Select Two Youngstown Phantoms in the NHL Draft
- Youngstown Phantoms Acquire Assistant Coach Justin DeMartino
- Youngstown Phantoms Release 2020-2021 Regular Season Schedule
- Youngstown Phantoms Acquired Multiple Players Through the 2020 USHL Dispersal Draft
- Phantoms Announce Season Updates