Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third
Two third period goals pushed the Fargo Force past the Dubuque Fighting Saints on Friday night as Fargo won their first of two in Iowa, 4-2. After a back and forth period that saw both teams score two goals, Fargo used a power play goal by Ben Meyers and a sharp angle shot by Zach Faremouth to win their seventh game of the season. Dubuque dropped to 7-6-1-2 with the decision.
-Dubuque received their goals from the usual suspects on Friday as Matias Maccelli and James Sanchez both tallied in the first period. For Maccelli, it was his fourth straight game with a goal and for Sanchez his fourth straight game with a point. Dubuque couldn't find the back of the net the rest of the night but still had a good amount of chances.
-Willie Knierim also notched a point in the game, moving his point streak at home to five games in a row. Knierim has nine points in five games at Mystique Community Ice Center.
-Fargo played a textbook defensive game the second they secured a two goal lead. Dubuque had trouble getting through the neutral zone, let alone getting in to the offensive zone during the last 10 minutes of regulation. Fargo clamped down and also received a good effort from Ryan Bischel.
-Bischel, who made his 12th start for the Force, was stellar. He made 25 stops on the night and made a few timely saves to keep the Force in the lead. Bischel has been the work horse for a Fargo team that has struggled based on their standards. However, a win to begin the road trip for Fargo is a great step in the right direction.
-The Dubuque Fighting Saints won't have much time to think about tonight's loss as they look to bounce back tomorrow night against the U-18 team. The 18's are fresh off a 7-1 win over the Omaha Lancers. Dubuque dropped their only contest of the season thus far with the NTDP 18's by a score of 8-3.
-Matthew Thiessen continues to grab tough luck losses. The Saints netminder hasn't won a game since mid-October and despite making 26 saves took the loss on Friday. Thiessen's play hasn't been bad by any stretch of the imagination, but the results have not followed.
-Fargo will head slightly West for their matchup tomorrow as they take on the Des Moines Buccaneers. Des Moines lost 5-1 to the Sioux City Musketeers. Fargo will look to win back to back games for the first time this season.
-Tomorrow night is Military Appreciation Night sponsored by Deery Brothers of Dubuque at Mystique Community Ice Center. The Fighting Saints will honor past and present members of the military. The team is wearing POW-themed jerseys that will be auctioned off post game.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Capitols in Overtime, 4-3 - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Stingy at Young Arena - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- 3 RoughRiders to Compete in World Junior a Challenge - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Capitols Host Steel Friday - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Gear up for Thanksgiving Weekend Series - Youngstown Phantoms
- Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shane Pinto Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Set for Two at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Nodler and O'Reilly Named to Team USA Roster for World Junior A Challenge - Fargo Force
- Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Players to Compete in 2018 World Junior a Challenge - USHL
- Hawks Celebrate Another Alumni Call-Up - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Black Hawks Remember Pearl Harbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League Team to Take Ice with Helmets Painted by Local Amatuer Artists to Raise Money for Young Cancer Patients - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Announce Roster Moves - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- McCarthy's 18 Save Shutout Pushes Dubuque to 6-0 on the Season
- Dubuque Moves to 5-0 with 5-4 Shootout Win
- Weekend Primer: Saints Take Unbeaten Record on Road against Des Moines and Sioux City
- Dubuque Tops Tri-City with Three in the Third
- Pregame Primer: Dubuque Treks to Tri-City for First True Road Game