Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. - The Flying Aces fall to the Youngstown Phantoms after a late third-period goal from the Phantoms.
Less than two minutes into the first period, Benito Posa (Grand Blanc, Mich.) worked the puck along the boards back up to Chase Foley (Mendota Heights, Minn.) at the point. Foley fired a shot towards the net, and Brad Marek (Big Rapids, Mich.) tipped the puck into the back of the net to get Central Illinois on the board first.
Jeremy Davidson (Schoolcraft, Mich.) stole the puck near the Flying Aces blue line and made a stretch pass to Cal Kiefiuk (Macomb, Mich.). Kiefiuk entered the zone alone on a breakaway and shot the puck past the goaltender's glove to give the Aces a two-goal lead at 8:07 in the first.
The Phantoms got on the board at 14:27 in the first when Trevor Kuntar put the loose puck into the net after a mad-scramble in front of the net.
Jack Malone scored on his backhand for Youngstown at 15:31 in the first to tie the game at two apiece.
At 17:55 in the second, Youngstown lost the puck in neutral territory; Foley picked up the loose puck and made a pass off the boards to Davidson. Davidson powered into the zone and wristed a puck past the netminder to take back the lead for the Aces.
The Phantoms tied the game at 9:59 when Brett Murray tipped a puck into the net on the backdoor while on the power play.
Youngstown took the lead at 16:56 when Liam Robertson got in behind the defenders and scored over the goaltender's blocker.
Full video recap available here.
The Flying Aces finish their two-game home-stand against Youngstown tomorrow, Saturday, November 17th at 7 p.m. Central Illinois is on the road for a Thanksgiving Eve match-up against Green Bay on November 21 before returning home to face projected 2019 NHL draft first overall pick, Jack Hughes, and the Team USA Under-18 Team on November 23.
Season tickets and Mini Plans for the 2018-19 season are on sale now. For tickets or more information, call the Flying Aces at 309-434-2980 or visit www.flyingaceshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Capitols in Overtime, 4-3 - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Stingy at Young Arena - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- 3 RoughRiders to Compete in World Junior a Challenge - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Capitols Host Steel Friday - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Gear up for Thanksgiving Weekend Series - Youngstown Phantoms
- Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shane Pinto Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Set for Two at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Nodler and O'Reilly Named to Team USA Roster for World Junior A Challenge - Fargo Force
- Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Players to Compete in 2018 World Junior a Challenge - USHL
- Hawks Celebrate Another Alumni Call-Up - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Black Hawks Remember Pearl Harbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League Team to Take Ice with Helmets Painted by Local Amatuer Artists to Raise Money for Young Cancer Patients - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Announce Roster Moves - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.