Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Sioux Falls Stampede defenseman Ryan Johnson will represent the United States at the 2018 World Junior A Challenge in Bonnyville, AB. USA Hockey announced Friday.
The third overall pick of the 2017 USHL Phase I Draft has skated in 13 games this season with one goal and six assists for seven points. He was named USHL Defenseman of the Week for his one goal and two assists performance between October 19 and 20. The Irvine, Calif. native is committed to play collegiate hockey at the University of Minnesota.
The World Junior A Challenge is one of two premiere international showcases for junior-level players. The roster is comprised of United States Hockey League skaters and coaches not affiliated with the National Development program.
The showcase will take place between December 9-16 at R.J. Arena and will also feature Canada East, Canada West, the Czech Republic and Russia. Defenseman Jack St. Ivany and assistant coach Nick Oliver represented Sioux Falls last year, capturing a silver medal.
The 2018 U.S. Junior Select Team will be led by Tri-City Storm head coach Anthony Noreen. Assistant coaches include Omaha Lancers head coach David Wilkie, Waterloo Black Hawks assistant coach and director of scouting and player personnel??????? Shane Fukishima and Sioux City Musketeers assistant coach Mark Abalan.
Sioux Falls is back out on the road tonight to take on the Lincoln Stars and Sunday afternoon against the Omaha Lancers. Puck drop set for 7:05 p.m. and 4:05 p.m., respectively. Fans can catch both games live on KELO News Talk 1320-AM, 105.1-FM, 107.9-FM and KELO.com or watch live on Hockeytv.com.
Images from this story
Sioux Falls Stampede defenseman Ryan Johnson
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Capitols in Overtime, 4-3 - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Stingy at Young Arena - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- 3 RoughRiders to Compete in World Junior a Challenge - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Capitols Host Steel Friday - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Gear up for Thanksgiving Weekend Series - Youngstown Phantoms
- Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shane Pinto Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Set for Two at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Nodler and O'Reilly Named to Team USA Roster for World Junior A Challenge - Fargo Force
- Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Players to Compete in 2018 World Junior a Challenge - USHL
- Hawks Celebrate Another Alumni Call-Up - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Black Hawks Remember Pearl Harbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League Team to Take Ice with Helmets Painted by Local Amatuer Artists to Raise Money for Young Cancer Patients - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Announce Roster Moves - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.