Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster
BLOOMINGTON, ILL. - USA Hockey announced their 2018 U.S. Junior Select Team roster for the upcoming 2018 World Junior A Challenge taking place Dec. 9-16 in Bonnyville, Alberta. Flying Aces Captain Trevor Janicke (Maple Grove, Minn.) and Flying Aces Alternate Captain Cal Kiefiuk (Macomb, MIch.) were both selected to represent Team USA.
Janicke was a member of the 2018 U.S. Men's National Under-18 Team that earned a silver medal at the IIHF Under-18 Men's World Championship last April in Chelyabinsk and Magnitogorsk, Russia. Janicke is eligible for the 2019 NHL Draft and is committed to play for the University of Notre Dame. He was included on NHL Central Scouting's ranking of the top prospects for the coming draft. He is currently tied for the lead in scoring for the Flying Aces with six goals and nine assists for fifteen points.
General Manager and Head Coach, Mike Watt, commented, "It's the first time we have ever had two players selected for the Challenge. Obviously Trevor being with the (National Team Development) Program previously and knowing his background, what he does as a player, he is a huge asset for the team."
This will be the first time Kiefiuk will be representing his country on the international stage. Kiefiuk is committed to play for the University of Michigan. He currently has two goals and eleven assists in eleven games, playing at a rate of 1.18 points per game. Last season, he led the Flying Aces in scoring with forty-six points in sixty games.
Watt continued, "Cal obviously has been having a great year and has been a good leader for us on and off the ice. It's a testament to both of them because being selected for this is a great honor. As an organization, we are very proud and excited."
The tournament will include Canada East, Canada West, the Czech Republic, Russia and the United States. The United States has captured the World Junior A Challenge title seven times, including four gold medals in the last six years (2012-14, 2016). The U.S. will play an exhibition game against Canada East on Friday, Dec. 7, at 8 p.m. CT before opening the competition Sunday, Dec. 9, against Canada West at 8 p.m. CT. Group play will take place Dec. 9-14, and the medal rounds will take place Dec. 15-16.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Capitols in Overtime, 4-3 - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Stingy at Young Arena - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- 3 RoughRiders to Compete in World Junior a Challenge - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Capitols Host Steel Friday - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Gear up for Thanksgiving Weekend Series - Youngstown Phantoms
- Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shane Pinto Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Set for Two at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Nodler and O'Reilly Named to Team USA Roster for World Junior A Challenge - Fargo Force
- Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Players to Compete in 2018 World Junior a Challenge - USHL
- Hawks Celebrate Another Alumni Call-Up - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Black Hawks Remember Pearl Harbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League Team to Take Ice with Helmets Painted by Local Amatuer Artists to Raise Money for Young Cancer Patients - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Announce Roster Moves - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.