Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - For the third time this year, Steel forward Robert Mastrosimone will represent the United States, this time at the 2018 World Junior A Challenge in December, Team USA announced Friday.
Mastrosimone, an East Islip, N.Y. native, recorded five points in five games at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup over the summer and just returned from the Five Nations Tournament where Team USA took first place.
The World Junior A Challenge is scheduled to take place from December 9-16 at R.J. Lalonde Arena in Bonnyville, Alta. Team USA will be joined by Canada East, Canada West, Czech Republic and Russia. Mastrosimone will miss six games for the Steel from Dec. 4-16 as he represents the United States. The Team USA World Junior A Challenge roster is made up entirely of USHL players who are not part of the United States National Team Development program in Plymouth, Mich.
"We are once again proud of Robert for his selection to Team USA," said Steel General Manager Ryan Hardy. "This will be the fourth time that he will represent his country internationally, which speaks to his talent, work ethic and character."
The Boston University commit currently leads the Steel with 13 points (8-5-13) in 11 games this season. Mastrosimone has recorded a point in all of the games the Steel have scored a goal in this season. Last season, his USHL rookie campaign, Mastrosimone recorded 45 points (16-29-45) as one of three players to appear in all 60 games.
Steel Athletic Trainer Jim Schroeder will also travel to the World Junior A Challenge. It is Jim's first time serving as the athletic trainer for Team USA at an international event.
"We often talk about representing your country during international competition as a main tenet of our program for our players, but it is no less a source of pride when any member of our staff earns the same honor," said Hardy. "Jim is a consummate pro, a pleasure to work with, and a person so deserving of this opportunity."
Team USA plays Sunday, Dec. 9 (8 p.m. vs. Canada West), Tuesday, Dec. 11 (8 p.m. vs. Czech Republic), Wednesday, Nov. 12 (3 p.m. vs. Canada East) and Friday, Dec. 14 (3 p.m. vs. Russia). Semifinal games are scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 15 and the Gold and Bronze games are scheduled for Sunday, Dec. 16. All listed times are Central.
A livestream of all World Junior A Challenge games will be available at HockeyCanada.ca.
The Steel are back in action Friday, Nov. 16 at 7:05 p.m. when they travel to Wisconsin to take on the Madison Capitols. Chicago closes out the weekend with its first matchup of the year against Team USA on Saturday, Nov. 17 at 6:00 p.m.
The Steel return home Friday, Nov. 23 for Elf: A Fifteenth Anniversary Celebration game as the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders come to town. The Black Friday game is also a Steel Family Pack game with a pack of four tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and four chuck-a-pucks starting at just $48.
Tickets for all Steel home games are on sale now, starting at just $10 with stadium seating on the glass available for just $20. Parking is always free. Discounts are available for groups and season ticket plans start at just 5 games for $45.
For more information, call 855-51-STEEL or visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Stampede Rally to Top Stars in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Capitols in Overtime, 4-3 - Chicago Steel
- Fargo Topples Dubuque 4-2 with Two in the Third - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Late Goal Pushes Phantoms to Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Stingy at Young Arena - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Let Late Lead Slip Away in OT Loss to Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Central Illinois Falls to Youngstown After Late Third Period Tally - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Trevor Janicke and Cal Kiefiuk Named to Team USA Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- 3 RoughRiders to Compete in World Junior a Challenge - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Capitols Host Steel Friday - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Gear up for Thanksgiving Weekend Series - Youngstown Phantoms
- Johnson Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shane Pinto Named to U.S. Junior Select Team - Lincoln Stars
- Saints Set for Two at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Nodler and O'Reilly Named to Team USA Roster for World Junior A Challenge - Fargo Force
- Mastrosimone Named to World Junior A Roster - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Players to Compete in 2018 World Junior a Challenge - USHL
- Hawks Celebrate Another Alumni Call-Up - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Black Hawks Remember Pearl Harbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League Team to Take Ice with Helmets Painted by Local Amatuer Artists to Raise Money for Young Cancer Patients - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Announce Roster Moves - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Steel Stories
- Chicago Steel Dropped in OT, 5-4
- Chicago Steel Postgame Notes and Quotes - October 18 vs. Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Weekly Preview: Magnet Schedules, Retro Video Games and Raising Cane's Kids Day Highlights Back-To-Back Home Weekend
- Chicago Steel Pot 10 in Blowout Win at Youngstown
- Chicago Steel Postgame Notes and Recap - October 13 at Youngstown Phantoms