Stars Blank Roadrunners in 2-0 Shutout
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, returned home to the H-E-B Center from a four game road trip to meet the Tucson Roadrunners. Philippe Desrosiers stopped 29 shots including a game high 12 saves in the third period to earn his second career shutout.
Texas and Tucson each came into the game ready to battle, but the first period ultimately ended scoreless. Both teams had their opportunity on the man advantage, but could not convert in opening frame. The Stars would eventually hold Tucson on all four of their chances, and convert on 1 of 3 power plays.
The period included several beautiful offensive chances on sixteen shots, including a shorthanded try by Denis Gurianov, but the Stars could not get the puck past Roadrunners goaltender Hunter Miska. On the flip side, Tucson fired eight shots at Desrosiers including one that hit the post, but the fourth year netminder stood strong for the team.
The Stars were determined to break the scoreless tie in the second period, and Robbie Payne did just that at 7:53. Brad McClure carried the puck into the zone and slid it to Adam Macherin who found Payne sneaking up from behind the Roadrunners net. The forward tallied the eventual game winning goal by firing a wrister into the top left corner of the net past Miska. Payne got the monkey off his back, scoring his first goal of the year.
With just under five minutes to play in the second, Michael Mersch cashed in on the power play to extend the lead to two. He netted his 100th career goal by following up a rebound on a shot by Travis Morin. Mersch has scored four goals in the last six games and has four points in the last two contests. The score remained 2-0 for the final minutes of the second period, and the entirety of the third.
The Roadrunners pushed the pace in the final period, pulling Miska for an extra skater with three minutes remaining in the game. Desrosiers would earn himself the first star of the game and his fifth win of the 2018-2019 campaign by fending off 12 shots in the final 20 minutes of play.
3 Stars presented by Dahill Office Technology Corporation
1. Philippe Desrosiers (TEX)
2. Robbie Payne (TEX)
3. Michael Mersch (TEX)
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, and battle the Tucson Roadrunners again Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. at H-E-B Center at Cedar Park to wrap up Pink in the Rink Weekend. Full-season, 24-game and 12-game ticket packages for the 2018-19 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
Images from this story
Texas Stars Goaltender Philippe Desrosiers stops a Tucson Roadrunners' shot attempt
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Roadrunners Stymied by Stars in 2-0 Shutout Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Blank Roadrunners in 2-0 Shutout - Texas Stars
- Hats off to Megan in Griffins' Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Snap Losing Streak with 4-3 Victory over Devils - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blanked by Crunch 1-0, Drop Third Straight - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Scores OT Winner for Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Goosed by the Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula, Lorito and St. Denis each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Megan Hat Trick Snaps Rampage Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Point Streak Hits 11 - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Stomp Springfield 4-1 to Start Busy Weekend - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Clip Senators in Shootout, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Defeat Marlies 3-1 in 2nd Meeting - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Shutout Americans, 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Win Streak Ends in 4-3 Loss to Laval - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Fall to First-Place Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for March 10 - San Jose Barracuda
- Thunderbirds Host Checkers, Marlies to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Jets Recall Sami Niku from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Joel L'Esperance - Texas Stars
- Flames Recall Curtis Lazar from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Matt Finn to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Launch Heat365 Referral Program - Stockton Heat
- Game #46 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Cannata, Anderson Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Forney Reassigned to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Marlies Set for Friday Night Tilt in Providence - Toronto Marlies
- Thunderbirds to Welcome Two-Time New England Patriots Super Bowl Champion Trey Flowers on March 2nd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Gear up for Three-Game Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 15 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.