T-Birds Fall to First-Place Checkers
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (21-21-6-4) could not overcome the first-place Charlotte Checkers (33-13-6-1) in a 4-1 loss on Friday night inside the MassMutual Center.
Thunderbirds All-Star goaltender Sam Montembeault had to be at his very best in the opening period, turning away the first nine shots he faced in as many minutes to begin the night. Included in Montembeault's body of work were point-blank stops on both Janne Kuokkanen and Jake Bean, as well as a shorthanded breakaway save on Haydn Fleury.
Springfield had the game's first power play chance, but could not get onto the board first, and Charlotte countered with a man advantage goal of its own. Nick Schilkey, who played with Springfield's Anthony Greco back in their collegiate careers, tallied his third goal in two games against the Thunderbirds, tapping home a centering pass from Patrick Brown at 9:40 of the first.
Charlotte got another chance to add to their lead with a second power play past the midpoint of the period, but the Springfield PK dug in to keep the deficit at 1-0. Springfield's best efforts went unrewarded through the final moments of the first, and the Checkers took the slim lead into the first intermission.
Nedeljkovic and the Checkers survived a Springfield push to maintain their 1-0 lead late into the second, and then Charlotte tallied two goals in rapid-fire fashion to extend its lead. Zach Nastasiuk took advantage of a Springfield pinch at the other end and lifted a wrist shot over Montembeault's glove hand at 16:11.
41 seconds later, Julien Gauthier parked himself at the side of Montembeault's net and gathered in a rebound off a Jake Bean shot to beat the Springfield netminder and make it 3-0.
After a scoreless frame for the first 17 minutes of the final period, Dryden Hunt finally broke up Nedeljkovic's shutout with a power play strike for his 19th goal of the season at 17:37 of the third.
With Montembeault on the bench, the Thunderbirds could not get any closer with an extra skater, and Steven Lorentz picked up an empty-net goal to finish the scoring with less than two minutes to play.
On Saturday, it's Hockey Night in Springfield presented by Columbia Gas of Massachusetts as the Thunderbirds host the Toronto Marlies at 7:05 p.m. The first 1,000 kids aged 12 and under will receive a Thunderbirds youth hockey jersey.
Fans looking to purchase tickets can do so by visiting www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com or by calling (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Roadrunners Stymied by Stars in 2-0 Shutout Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Blank Roadrunners in 2-0 Shutout - Texas Stars
- Hats off to Megan in Griffins' Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Snap Losing Streak with 4-3 Victory over Devils - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blanked by Crunch 1-0, Drop Third Straight - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Scores OT Winner for Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Goosed by the Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula, Lorito and St. Denis each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Megan Hat Trick Snaps Rampage Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Point Streak Hits 11 - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Stomp Springfield 4-1 to Start Busy Weekend - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Clip Senators in Shootout, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Defeat Marlies 3-1 in 2nd Meeting - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Shutout Americans, 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Win Streak Ends in 4-3 Loss to Laval - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Fall to First-Place Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for March 10 - San Jose Barracuda
- Thunderbirds Host Checkers, Marlies to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Jets Recall Sami Niku from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Joel L'Esperance - Texas Stars
- Flames Recall Curtis Lazar from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Matt Finn to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Launch Heat365 Referral Program - Stockton Heat
- Game #46 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Cannata, Anderson Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Forney Reassigned to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Marlies Set for Friday Night Tilt in Providence - Toronto Marlies
- Thunderbirds to Welcome Two-Time New England Patriots Super Bowl Champion Trey Flowers on March 2nd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Gear up for Three-Game Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 15 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Thunderbirds Foundation Donates $15,000 to the Rays of Hope
- Thunderbirds Honored by AHL for Ticket Sales Excellence
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 19-20 Season
- Springfield Thunderbirds Team up to Provide Meals to Local Hospitals
- Paul Thompson Named Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year