Game #46 Preview: Tucson at Texas
Game #46 - Tucson (24-15-4-2) at Texas (24-20-3-2)
6:00 PM MST, H-E-B Center at Cedar Park, Cedar Park, Texas
Referees: #50 Jonathon Sitarski, #34 Stephen Reneau
Linesmen: #30 Fred Hudy, #12 Carl Sasyn
The Roadrunners return to Texas' H-E-B Center at Cedar Park tonight for the first time since May 11, the date their run in the 2018 Calder Cup playoffs came to a halt when Joel L'Esperance buried a rebound 8:43 into overtime in Game 5 of the Pacific Division final, formally ending their 2017-18 season.
Entering the evening seeking their 25th win of the campaign, the Roadrunners are 1-1-0-1 on their current six-game road trip. This weekend marks their only stop in Texas all season.
Jeremy Gregoire is grooving with goals in consecutive games; he found the back of the net for Tucson's lone regulation tally with 1:19 left to play Tuesday night in San Jose. He and Emil Pettersson, playing crucial roles already, have seen Texas six times this year as members of the Milwaukee Admirals.
The Stars undoubtedly have plenty to play for this evening, as they sit just one point out of the Central Division's playoff picture. Texas has dropped nine of its last 12 contests, but is coming off of a 3-2 win over the Rockford IceHogs on Tuesday.
Regardless of tonight's outcome, the Roadrunners will maintain fourth-place in the Pacific Division. The evening does present, however, a prime opportunity to gain some ground.
It's an eerily quiet Friday night in the Pacific, with the San Jose Barracuda, San Diego Gulls, Colorado Eagles, and Stockton Heat all sitting idle.
THREE THINGS LIGHTING 'EM UP: It goes without saying that Michael Bunting is a huge add for a Roadrunners offense that has been held to one goal in five of its last seven games. Bunting tore Texas to shreds in late January, registering four points (2G, 2A) in two games against the Stars, including his second three-point performance of the campaign.
NEW STARS: New additions Emil Pettersson and Jeremy Gregoire have been outstanding since joining the Roadrunners, now three games deep with their new club. The two, connecting with Robbie Russo for the team's late regulation goal Tuesday night in San Jose, now have a combined six points with Tucson; Pettersson with four assists, Gregoire with two goals. The two players' final game with Milwaukee, ironically, came against Texas on February 6. Pettersson has registered four assists against the Dallas Stars' farm team this season.
STAY DISCIPLINED: Coming into tonight, Texas is touting the second-best power play in the AHL, executing at a 23.9% rate, nearly one of every four of their man advantage opportunities. They've found the back of the net on 44 of their 188 power plays overall; nearly half of those (22) have come on home ice. The Roadrunners, currently killing at an 80.6% rate, have surrendered at least one power play goal in each of their first three games of the road trip.
NUMBER TO KNOW FOUR: Defenseman Robbie Russo has registered points in four consecutive games, totaling seven (3G, 4A) during that span. His overall total of 29 (5G, 24A) ranks second on the Roadrunners' active roster to Emil Pettersson's 37.
GAMEDAY VIDEO [embedded content]
WE'RE DOING IT LIVE You can catch tonight's action at Brother John's Beer Bourbon & BBQ, the official watch party location for all Roadrunners road games during the 2018-19 season. A live telecast is available on AHLTV; Roadrunners play-by-play broadcaster Adrian Denny will have the radio call on AM 1450 Fox Sports Tucson, with coverage starting at 5:45 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Roadrunners Stymied by Stars in 2-0 Shutout Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Blank Roadrunners in 2-0 Shutout - Texas Stars
- Hats off to Megan in Griffins' Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Snap Losing Streak with 4-3 Victory over Devils - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blanked by Crunch 1-0, Drop Third Straight - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Scores OT Winner for Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Goosed by the Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula, Lorito and St. Denis each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Megan Hat Trick Snaps Rampage Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Point Streak Hits 11 - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Stomp Springfield 4-1 to Start Busy Weekend - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Clip Senators in Shootout, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Defeat Marlies 3-1 in 2nd Meeting - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Shutout Americans, 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Win Streak Ends in 4-3 Loss to Laval - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Fall to First-Place Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for March 10 - San Jose Barracuda
- Thunderbirds Host Checkers, Marlies to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Jets Recall Sami Niku from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Joel L'Esperance - Texas Stars
- Flames Recall Curtis Lazar from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Matt Finn to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Launch Heat365 Referral Program - Stockton Heat
- Game #46 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Cannata, Anderson Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Forney Reassigned to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Marlies Set for Friday Night Tilt in Providence - Toronto Marlies
- Thunderbirds to Welcome Two-Time New England Patriots Super Bowl Champion Trey Flowers on March 2nd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Gear up for Three-Game Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 15 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Pederson's Hat Trick Powers Roadrunners to Overtime Win
- Roadrunners Sign Busby to Amateur Tryout
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose
- Roadrunners Home Stretch Continues with 1-2-3 Food, Kids in Free, and Post-Game Skate this Weekend
- Roadrunners Held Scoreless in 2-0 Loss to Iowa