Thunderbirds Host Checkers, Marlies to Start 3-In-3 Weekend
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (21-20-6-4) will look to gain ground in the Atlantic Division playoff race during a three-game weekend beginning on Friday in Springfield. The T-Birds begin the weekend with a 7:05 p.m. puck drop against the Charlotte Checkers (32-13-6-1) on Friday night before welcoming the Toronto Marlies (25-17-5-3) on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m.
Springfield concludes the weekend by paying a visit to the Providence Bruins (26-17-6-1) on Sunday at 3:05 p.m. at the Dunkin' Donuts Center.
The Friday night matchup against the Checkers is just the second of four total meetings between Springfield and Charlotte this season. The Checkers stunned the Thunderbirds, erasing a late Springfield lead to come away with a 5-4 overtime win on Dec. 8 at the MassMutual Center. The first-place Checkers have undergone their toughest stretch of the season in recent days, though. Charlotte is just 2-4-3-1 in its last ten games.
On Saturday, the Thunderbirds get a second crack at the Toronto Marlies after falling 4-2 at the Coca-Cola Coliseum on Saturday evening. Springfield held leads of 1-0 and 2-1 before Toronto came back on both occasions. The Marlies, however, are expected to be without a few key performers, including Chris Mueller, who scored his 23rd goal of the season in Saturday's Toronto win. Defenseman Timothy Lilljegren and forward Mason Marchment are also not expected to play for the defender Calder Cup champions. Toronto area natives Jonathan Ang and Thomas Schemitsch each scored for Springfield in Ontario a week ago, while Sam Montembeault turned away 24 of 27 shots in the Springfield goal crease.
The Thunderbirds then have a chance to gain ground on the Providence Bruins in a head-to-head matchup on Sunday afternoon in Providence. Springfield is 4-3-0-1 through eight of 14 season meetings with the Bruins, but the Bruins have won each of the last two contests inside the Dunkin' Donuts Center, each by a single goal. Five of the first eight games between the clubs in 2018-19 have been decided by just one goal.
Friday night marks another 3-2-1 Friday inside the Thunderdome, featuring the MGM Springfield Pregame Concert Series beginning at 6:00 p.m. Concession deals include $3 Coors Light drafts, $2 hot dogs, and $1 sodas through the end of the first period of play. Friday's game is proudly presented by Balise Car Wash. Then on Saturday, it's Hockey Night in Springfield presented by Columbia Gas of Massachusetts. The first 1,000 kids aged 12 and under will receive a Thunderbirds youth hockey jersey.
Fans looking to purchase tickets to either game can do so by visiting www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com or by calling (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Roadrunners Stymied by Stars in 2-0 Shutout Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Blank Roadrunners in 2-0 Shutout - Texas Stars
- Hats off to Megan in Griffins' Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Snap Losing Streak with 4-3 Victory over Devils - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blanked by Crunch 1-0, Drop Third Straight - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Scores OT Winner for Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Goosed by the Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula, Lorito and St. Denis each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Megan Hat Trick Snaps Rampage Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Point Streak Hits 11 - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Stomp Springfield 4-1 to Start Busy Weekend - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Clip Senators in Shootout, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Defeat Marlies 3-1 in 2nd Meeting - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Shutout Americans, 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Win Streak Ends in 4-3 Loss to Laval - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Fall to First-Place Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for March 10 - San Jose Barracuda
- Thunderbirds Host Checkers, Marlies to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Jets Recall Sami Niku from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Joel L'Esperance - Texas Stars
- Flames Recall Curtis Lazar from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Matt Finn to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Launch Heat365 Referral Program - Stockton Heat
- Game #46 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Cannata, Anderson Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Forney Reassigned to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Marlies Set for Friday Night Tilt in Providence - Toronto Marlies
- Thunderbirds to Welcome Two-Time New England Patriots Super Bowl Champion Trey Flowers on March 2nd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Gear up for Three-Game Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 15 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Thunderbirds Foundation Donates $15,000 to the Rays of Hope
- Thunderbirds Honored by AHL for Ticket Sales Excellence
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 19-20 Season
- Springfield Thunderbirds Team up to Provide Meals to Local Hospitals
- Paul Thompson Named Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year