Rocket Snap Losing Streak with 4-3 Victory over Devils
BINGHAMTON - Daniel Audette picked up a goal and an assist and goaltender Charlie Lindgren made 21 saves in the Laval Rocket's 4-3 victory over the Binghamton Devils at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Friday night, ensuring that the Rocket will get at least two of the possible four points against the divisional rival this weekend.
Alexandre Alain allowed the Rocket to get on the board first and take a 1-0 lead in the opening period as Xavier Ouellet's shot got blocked in front of the net and landed in the perfect position for Alain to put it over Chad Johnson's pad and in the net, giving him his seventh of the season. A misplay behind Binghamton's net later in the period resulted in a turnover directly on Alexandre Grenier's stick, who took advantage of the Devils' mistake to make it 2-0 for Joël Bouchard and his team heading into the second.
Alex Belzile stole the puck off of Ryan Murphy's stick early in the second period and went on a breakaway to net his 12th of the season, giving the Rocket a 3-0 lead before the halfway point of the game. The Devils presented the Rocket with a challenge by scoring two unanswered powerplay goals in the second half of the period however, thereby reducing the Rocket's lead to one heading into the final twenty minutes of play.
The third period remained scoreless until the final two minutes in which Audette scored Laval's fourth of the night in Binghamton's empty net and John Quenneville netted his second of the night for the Devils to bring his team back to within one. With less than 30 seconds remaining in the game however, the Devils were unable to tie the game by the final buzzer.
"We played very well. These are difficult games because our confidence isn't completely there," explained Bouchard after the game. "But the guys had more confidence as the game went on. The penalties hurt us and we got unlucky on one of their goals, but penalties happen because the guys want to do good, work hard, and don't want to be beat one-on-one. It was a good game."
LAV: Alain (Ouellet, Audette) | Grenier | Belzile | Audette (Alzner, Evans)
BNG: Quenneville (Yakovlev, Murphy) | White | Quenneville (Yakovlev, McLeod)
Goaltenders: LAV: Lindgren (21/24) | BNG: Johnson (20/23)
Rocket Powerplay: 0/2| Rocket Penalty Kill: 3/5
Three Stars: 1. Daniel Audette- LAV | 2. Alex Belzile - LAV | 3. John Quenneville - BNG
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Roadrunners Stymied by Stars in 2-0 Shutout Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Blank Roadrunners in 2-0 Shutout - Texas Stars
- Hats off to Megan in Griffins' Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Snap Losing Streak with 4-3 Victory over Devils - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Blanked by Crunch 1-0, Drop Third Straight - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Scores OT Winner for Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Goosed by the Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula, Lorito and St. Denis each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Megan Hat Trick Snaps Rampage Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Sens Point Streak Hits 11 - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Stomp Springfield 4-1 to Start Busy Weekend - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Clip Senators in Shootout, 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Defeat Marlies 3-1 in 2nd Meeting - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Shutout Americans, 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Win Streak Ends in 4-3 Loss to Laval - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Fall to First-Place Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for March 10 - San Jose Barracuda
- Thunderbirds Host Checkers, Marlies to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Jets Recall Sami Niku from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Joel L'Esperance - Texas Stars
- Flames Recall Curtis Lazar from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Matt Finn to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Launch Heat365 Referral Program - Stockton Heat
- Game #46 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Cannata, Anderson Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Forney Reassigned to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Right Wing Denis Gurianov - Texas Stars
- Marlies Set for Friday Night Tilt in Providence - Toronto Marlies
- Thunderbirds to Welcome Two-Time New England Patriots Super Bowl Champion Trey Flowers on March 2nd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Gear up for Three-Game Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 15 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Canadiens Loan Josh Brook to the Krefeld Pinguine
- American Hockey League Targeting February 5 as Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Canadiens Sign Defenseman Xavier Ouellet to a Two-Year Contract Extension
- Canadiens Agree to Terms on a One-Year Contract with Forward Brandon Baddock
- Canadiens Sign Defenseman Noah Juulsen to a One-Year Contract Extension