Stars Beat Heat 5-0
Austin, TX- The Abbotsford Heat lost to the Texas Stars (AHL affiliate of the Dallas Stars) 5-0 on Friday night at Cedar Park Center. The Heat are now second place in the West Division with a 23-13-1-1 record and 48 points.
A strong first period, solid goaltending, and good special teams play was the story for the Texas Stars in the game. Secondary scoring stepped up for Texas as Brett Ritchie led the way with three points (2-1-3) and was named first star.
The Stars opened the scoring at 5:27 on the power play from Ritchie. Less than two minutes later, they added to their lead at 7:01 with a goal from Francis Wathier. Justin Dowling closed out the period with a goal at the 13:23 mark and gave the Stars a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes. The Stars put 20 shots towards Joey MacDonald, while the Heat had six shots on Cristopher Nilstorp.
In the second period, both MacDonald and Nilstorp stopped every shot they faced and the Stars took their 3-0 lead into the third period.
The Stars scored twice and put the game away in the third period with goals from Ritchie at 2:30 and Travis Morin at the 10:16 mark.
The Heat went zero for three on the power play and finished five out of seven on the penalty kill.
Cristopher Nilstorp picked up the win in goal stopping all 26 shots he faced, while Joey MacDonald was charged the loss turning away 38 of 43 shots.
The Heat continue their six-game road trip on Saturday against the San Antonio Rampage (AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers). After the road trip, the Heat will return home and begin an eight-game home stand starting with the Utica Comets on January 24th and 25th at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2014
- Hogs Lead Third Period Push for 4-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Beat Heat 5-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Nilstorp Shuts out Heat, Stars Take over First Place in Division - Texas Stars
- Welcome Back Mr. Jones - Manchester Monarchs
- Win Streak Frozen by Penguins - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Fall to Wild, 3-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kostopoulos, Power Play Lift Penguins Past Phantoms - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall in Rockford 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Rally to Sink Pirates 5-4 in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Drop 2-1 Decision to Bulldogs on Hall of Fame Night - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Ride Fast Start to Beat Barons - Charlotte Checkers
- B-Sens Survive Hershey 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Sharks defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Battle Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Complete Team Effort Swims Sharks Past Wolf Pack 3-1 - Worcester Sharks
- Manchester Pulls away from Sound Tigers Late - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Blank Crunch 1-0 - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Sunk in Shootout by Admirals - Portland Pirates
- Ryan Craig Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped with Loss to Devils - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Win Sixth Straight, Drop Americans 2-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Syracuse Edged by Providence in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Wild Holds off Defending Champs, Beats Griffins 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Wedgewood Earns First Career Shutout - Albany Devils
- Marlies Down IceCaps 3-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Edge IceCaps 3-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Fans and AUD Experience Praised - Utica Comets
- Comet Tales: Meet Dustin Flynn - Utica Comets
- Jets Recall Zach Redmond from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Wings Recall Sheahan, Reassign Parkes - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Reassigns Goaltender Andersen to Norfolk; Recalls Gibson - Norfolk Admirals
- Tye McGinn Recalled by Flyers - Adirondack Phantoms
- Forsberg Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- AHL, IceCaps, Province to Hold All-Star Classic Contest - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Teigan Zahn from Utah - Norfolk Admirals
- Monsters Invade Barn this Weekend - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Loan Lepkowski to OHL's Oshawa Generals - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Announce Inaugural Hall of Fame Class - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack to Hold Open Public Address Announcer Tryout - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lucy Hale to Perform Concert After Falcons Game January 20 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Open 2014 Home Schedule with Visit from Norfolk - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps to Honour NL Power, Nalcor and City Workers - St. John's IceCaps
- Late Goals Doom Comets - Utica Comets
- Barons Rally to Beat Comets in Overtime, 3-2 - Oklahoma City Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.