Senators vs. Marlies, April 10
The Battle of the 401 has never meant more to the Belleville Senators than it does tonight when they host the Toronto Marlies in a crucial clash in their Calder Cup playoff hopes.
Belleville (36-29-3-5) beat the Cleveland Monsters last time out to close the gap to a point for the final spot in the North Division playoff race and with Cleveland losing to Rochester Monday, the two teams have now played the same amount of games as we enter the final week of the regular season.
Toronto (38-23-8-4) have already secured a playoff place in the North and cannot catch either Syracuse or Rochester so they know they will be the third seed once the playoffs start.
The Sens are 22-10-1-3 at home this season while the Marlies have just nine regulation losses on the road this year in 37 games.
With the NHL regular season now complete and the ECHL playoffs set to begin, no changes for the Belleville Senators although the team did release Jonathan Gruden from his ATO with the team Tuesday.
No confirmation from Senators head coach Troy Mann but expect Marcus Hogberg to start tonight as well as the Sens' final two games later in the week as the team attempts to secure a playoff spot.
Andrew Sturtz, Erik Brannstrom, Mike Condon, Jim O'Brien, Max Lajoie and Morgan Klimchuk are out for Belleville.
The Sens have been lights out against the Marlies this season holding a 7-1-1-1 record and are 10-9-1-2 all-time against Toronto. The Sens have won the last three match-ups in regulation.
Who to watch
Sens forward Vitaly Abramov has goals in two straight games as he looks to be heating up at the right time this season. Abramov has seven points (four goals) in 15 games with Belleville since being acquired from Columbus.
Signed out of Western Michigan, Colt Conrad has had a nice start to his pro career as he has a pair of goals in four games with the Marlies since signing an AHL deal.
Where to watch
Wednesday's game starts at 7:00pm and can also be seen on AHLTV. Fans can also watch tonight's contest at Shoeless Joe's in Belleville.
The radio broadcast on CJBQ 800 begins at 6:50pm with Jack Miller on the call and David Foot on colour.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 10, 2019
- Sevens Are Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall to Rampage in 5-3 Decision - Texas Stars
- Marlies Dent Sens Playoff Hopes - Belleville Senators
- Bellows and Gionta each score in Bridgeport's regular-season home finale on Wednesday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceHogs Raise More Than $70,000 Through Annual Jersey Auction - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds to Honor American International College Men's Hockey Team on Friday, April 12 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Batherson Named to 2018-19 AHL All-Rookie Team - Belleville Senators
- Tucson at Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mitch Reinke Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - San Antonio Rampage
- Benson and Starrett Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Jake Bean Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Charlotte Checkers
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2018-19 AHL All-Rookie Team - Syracuse Crunch
- 2018-19 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - AHL
- Bears Weekly: Playoff-Bound Bears Wrap up Regular Season - Hershey Bears
- Stockton Begins Final Week of Season Wednesday against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Sign Adam Smith to AHL Contract - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sound Tigers Recall Five from Worcester (ECHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Playoff Picture: Wednesday, April 10 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Appleby Reassigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Open Final Week of Regular Season Tonight at Home - Bakersfield Condors
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Marlies Visit Senators for Midweek Matchup - Toronto Marlies
- Bears Sign Forward Chris McCarthy to Professional Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Keoni Texeira to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Senators vs. Marlies, April 10 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Laval in Home Finale - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sikura Pots a Pair as Hogs Overcome 3-1 Deficit to Sink Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.