Penguins Sign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to PTO
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins announced today that they have signed goaltender Matt O'Connor to a professional tryout agreement.
O'Connor began the season at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton training camp before joining the team's ECHL affiliate, the Wheeling Nailers. The six-foot-six netminder posted a 3.06 goals against average, .905 save percentage and two shutouts with the Nailers, all of which were professional career highs. O'Connor went 11-7-1 in 24 games with Wheeling.
The Toronto, Ontario native turned pro after ending a three-year career at Boston University with a Hockey East Championship and an appearance in the NCAA National Championship Game. An undrafted free agent, O'Connor made his first pro start in the Ottawa Senators' home opener against the Montréal Canadiens on Oct. 11, 2016. After his NHL debut, he proceeded to play out the majority of his four-year pro career with the Binghamton Senators. In 73 career AHL games spent with the Senators and Milwaukee Admirals, O'Connor has amassed a 24-40-5 record, a 3.28 goals against average and .895 save percentage.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Friday, Apr. 12, as it makes its first and only visit of the season to play the Utica Comets. The Penguins' next home game is Saturday, Apr. 13 against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Puck drop between the Penguins and Sound Tigers is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins' offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, including full season and Flexbook plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's brand new high definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV, which include live and archived games, are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2018-19 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 10, 2019
- Sevens Are Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall to Rampage in 5-3 Decision - Texas Stars
- Marlies Dent Sens Playoff Hopes - Belleville Senators
- Bellows and Gionta each score in Bridgeport's regular-season home finale on Wednesday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceHogs Raise More Than $70,000 Through Annual Jersey Auction - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds to Honor American International College Men's Hockey Team on Friday, April 12 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Batherson Named to 2018-19 AHL All-Rookie Team - Belleville Senators
- Tucson at Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mitch Reinke Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - San Antonio Rampage
- Benson and Starrett Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Jake Bean Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Charlotte Checkers
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2018-19 AHL All-Rookie Team - Syracuse Crunch
- 2018-19 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - AHL
- Bears Weekly: Playoff-Bound Bears Wrap up Regular Season - Hershey Bears
- Stockton Begins Final Week of Season Wednesday against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Sign Adam Smith to AHL Contract - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sound Tigers Recall Five from Worcester (ECHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Playoff Picture: Wednesday, April 10 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Appleby Reassigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Open Final Week of Regular Season Tonight at Home - Bakersfield Condors
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Marlies Visit Senators for Midweek Matchup - Toronto Marlies
- Bears Sign Forward Chris McCarthy to Professional Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Keoni Texeira to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Senators vs. Marlies, April 10 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Laval in Home Finale - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sikura Pots a Pair as Hogs Overcome 3-1 Deficit to Sink Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.