Bears Sign Forward Chris McCarthy to Professional Tryout Agreement
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears announced today that the club has signed forward Chris McCarthy to a professional tryout agreement.
McCarthy, 27, led the Reading Royals with 74 points (20 goals, 54 assists) in 72 games this season. The Collegeville, Pennsylvania native finished third in the ECHL in scoring as he registered the best season of his professional career. He was named to the All-ECHL Second Team, and tied for second in the AHL in assists. McCarthy ranks fourth in Royals history in goals (61), assists (119), and points (180). He played under current Hershey assistant coach Patrick Wellar in 2017-18 with the Royals. The 6-foot-1, 207-pound forward has spent the last three years with Reading, and in four ECHL seasons with the Royals and Greenville Road Warriors, has scored 219 points (76 goals, 143 assists).
McCarthy has AHL experience with the Hartford Wolf Pack and Lehigh Valley Phantoms. He spent the 2015-16 season with Hartford, scoring 22 points (six goals, 16 assists) in his rookie campaign, skating alongside current Hershey teammate Jayson Megna. He also played in 17 games with the Phantoms in 2016-17, and in one game with Lehigh Valley last season. In 85 career AHL games, the former University of Vermont captain has scored 27 points (nine goals, 18 assists).
The playoff-bound Bears return to action Friday in Hartford for a 7:15 p.m. puck drop at the XL Center. The game may be heard on the Bears Radio Network and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 10, 2019
- Sevens Are Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall to Rampage in 5-3 Decision - Texas Stars
- Marlies Dent Sens Playoff Hopes - Belleville Senators
- Bellows and Gionta each score in Bridgeport's regular-season home finale on Wednesday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceHogs Raise More Than $70,000 Through Annual Jersey Auction - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds to Honor American International College Men's Hockey Team on Friday, April 12 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Batherson Named to 2018-19 AHL All-Rookie Team - Belleville Senators
- Tucson at Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mitch Reinke Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - San Antonio Rampage
- Benson and Starrett Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Jake Bean Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Charlotte Checkers
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2018-19 AHL All-Rookie Team - Syracuse Crunch
- 2018-19 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - AHL
- Bears Weekly: Playoff-Bound Bears Wrap up Regular Season - Hershey Bears
- Stockton Begins Final Week of Season Wednesday against Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Sign Adam Smith to AHL Contract - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sound Tigers Recall Five from Worcester (ECHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Playoff Picture: Wednesday, April 10 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Appleby Reassigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Open Final Week of Regular Season Tonight at Home - Bakersfield Condors
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Marlies Visit Senators for Midweek Matchup - Toronto Marlies
- Bears Sign Forward Chris McCarthy to Professional Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Keoni Texeira to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Senators vs. Marlies, April 10 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Face Laval in Home Finale - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sikura Pots a Pair as Hogs Overcome 3-1 Deficit to Sink Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.