Senators Take a Pair from Trenton, 2-1 & 4-1
The Senators swept a pair from Trenton Monday night at FNB Field. In game one the Sens rallied for a 2-1 win, scoring twice in the bottom of the sixth inning. In game two, they scored a pair of runs in the third inning on a two-run single by Drew Ward and then two more in the sixth on a two-run home run by Rhett Wise to beat Trenton 4-1. Sterling Sharp was the winner in game one and Aaron Barrett notched the save. Steven Fuentes was the winner in game two with James Bourque earning a five-out save. The Sens improve to 26-10 with the sweep while Trenton falls to 21-12.
In game one, trailing 1-0 into the sixth inning there were two outs when Drew Ward doubled to right center field which was the turning point. Tres Barrera followed with a double off the fence in right to plate the tying run. After a walk, Austin Davidson doubled to drive in pinch-runner Bryan Mejia with the go ahead run. In game two, trailing 1-0 in the third inning, the Senators put two on with no outs. After a strikeout, double-steal, and flyball to left, the runners were at second and third with two outs. Drew Ward came to the plate against LH reliever James Reeves and singled to left driving in both runs and giving the Sens a 2-1 lead.
On Capitol Hill
Sterling Sharp started game one and went six strong innings allowing a run on four hits while striking out five. He also induced two double play balls out of cleanup hitter Chris Gittens. Aaron Barrett pitched the seventh, allowing a hit and walking a batter but earning his eighth save. In the nightcap, Logan Ondrusek made his first start since 2014 and pitched three innings allowing just a home run. Steven Fuentes followed and tossed 2.1 innings striking out five and earning his first double-A win. James Bourque recorded the final five outs for his sixth save.
With the Gavel
Drew Ward had two hits in both games, scoring the tying run in game one and driving in the first two runs in game two. Austin Davidson had a double and drove in the eventual winning run in game one. Tres Barrera doubled, and Ian Sagdal doubled. The Sens had five doubles in game one. Luis Garcia and Chuck Taylor joined Ward with two hits in game two. Rhett Wiseman homered in game two, a two-run shot in the sixth, his 11th on the season.
It's the second doubleheader sweep for the Senators this season.
With the two wins, they move to 4-1 against the Thunder, the best team in the Eastern Division.
After being swept by Binghamton, the Sens have won 3 out of 4.
The Senators passed the half-way point of the first half and the quarter-point of the season.
Wiseman leads the E.L. in HRs with 11.
With Wiseman's home run in game two, the Sens are 19-4 in games in which they hit at least one home run.
The Senators and Trenton Thunder play game three of four-game series Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. The game can be heard on CBS Sports Radio Harrisburg 96.5FM 95.3FM and 1400AM beginning at 6:18 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Baysox Win Streak Snapped in Akron - Bowie Baysox
- Senators Take a Pair from Trenton, 2-1 & 4-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Hurt by Home Runs in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Swept by Senators in Twin Bill - Trenton Thunder
- RubberDucks Score Early, Cruise to Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- Hart's on Fire: Sea Dogs Beat Hartford 5-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Need Hart to Beat Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Fightin Phils Rained out on Monday Night - Reading Fightin Phils
- Monday's Fisher Cats - Fightin Phils DH Postponed - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rain Washes Away Series Opener against Altoona - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve-Rumble Ponies Postponed in Binghamton - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #32 Rumble Ponies (19-12) vs. Altoona Curve (17-15) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 13th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Bobby Dalbec Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Portland Sea Dogs
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for May 6th-May 12th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.