Thunder Swept by Senators in Twin Bill
HARRISBURG, PA - The Harrisburg Senators held the Thunder to just nine total hits and two runs in a doubleheader sweep on Monday night at FNB Field, taking the opener 2-1 and the finale 4-1.
The Thunder dropped a well-pitched game in the opener as Rony Garcia and Sterling Sharp dueled on a chilly night on City Island. Garcia held the Senators to just four total baserunners through the first five innings before allowing a pair of runs in the sixth inning. Drew Ward doubled to right with two outs and Tres Barrera brought in the tying run with a double to deep right that bounced out of Ben Ruta's glove as he collided with the wall. After an intentional walk, Austin Davidson put Harrisburg in front with a double down the left field line.
Trenton held a 1-0 lead throughout much of the game thanks to an RBI single from Zack Zehner in the top of the first inning. Zehner had two of the five hits for the Thunder in the opener of the twin bill.
Sharp scattered seven baserunners over six innings to earn the victory, settling in after the first inning run by the Thunder. Aaron Barrett managed to keep the Thunder off the board in the seventh despite allowing the tying and go-ahead runs to reach base. Barrett came back to get Wendell Rijo to bounce out to the shortstop to end the ballgame.
In game two, the Thunder again jumped out to a 1-0 lead. Kyle Holder knocked his second home run of the season with a blast to right leading off the third inning.
Harrisburg responded quickly in the bottom of the third to take a 2-1 lead. Bryan Mejia and Luis Garcia reached on infield singles and found themselves in scoring position with two outs in the inning. Following a Ian Sagdal's fly out to left, Brody Koerner; having reached his pitch limit, exited and Drew Ward singled in the go-ahead runs off James Reeves to take the lead.
Senators relievers Steven Fuentes and James Bourque held the Thunder to just four baserunners over the final four innings to secure the victory. Harrisburg added two insurance runs in the sixth when Rhett Wiseman hit his league-leading 11th home run off the season. The homer surrendered by Brooks Kriske, broke an 18.1 consecutive scoreless inning streak for the Thunder reliever.
Your Thunder continue their road trip on Tuesday night at 6:30pm against the Senators. RHP Albert Abreu (120, 4.73) will start for the Thunder, RHP Tyler Mapes (2-2, 5.28) will go for Harrisburg. Pre-game coverage begins at 6:20pm on 920 AM The Jersey and online www.TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Baysox Win Streak Snapped in Akron - Bowie Baysox
- Senators Take a Pair from Trenton, 2-1 & 4-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Hurt by Home Runs in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Swept by Senators in Twin Bill - Trenton Thunder
- RubberDucks Score Early, Cruise to Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- Hart's on Fire: Sea Dogs Beat Hartford 5-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Need Hart to Beat Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Fightin Phils Rained out on Monday Night - Reading Fightin Phils
- Monday's Fisher Cats - Fightin Phils DH Postponed - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rain Washes Away Series Opener against Altoona - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve-Rumble Ponies Postponed in Binghamton - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #32 Rumble Ponies (19-12) vs. Altoona Curve (17-15) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 13th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Bobby Dalbec Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Portland Sea Dogs
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for May 6th-May 12th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- El Trueno de Trenton Return for 2020 Season at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Thunder Fly High with Top Gun Promotions in 2020
- Gift of Baseball Program Commences Today to Benefit Local Non-Profits
- Replica Championship Ring Highlights 2020 Promotions, Six-Game Thunder Makes Membership Plans On-Sale Friday
- Grand Slam We Care Foundation Makes Donation to Support American Red Cross - Puerto Rico