RubberDucks Score Early, Cruise to Victory
The Akron RubberDucks jumped out to a 7-0 lead, powered by fourth inning home runs from Ka'ai Tom and Daniel Johnson, and held on for a 7-3 win over the Bowie Baysox on Monday night win at Canal Park.
Leading 2-0 entering the fourth inning, the RubberDucks broke through, scoring five runs off Bowie starter Hunter Harvey and sending eight men to the plate in the inning. Ka'ai Tom led off the inning with a solo home run and Daniel Johnson added three more runs on a blast to the seats just beyond the right field fence.
Akron RubberDucks starter Tanner Tully took care of Bowie in his previous two starts against the Baysox, allowing only one earned run in 11 innings pitched. Tully held the Baysox scoreless until the top half of the sixth inning, when the Baysox added a solo homer by Ryan McKenna, an RBI single to right field by Carlos Perez. He left the game with two runners on in the sixth when Matt Whitehouse relieved him. Whitehouse allowed an infield single, but a throwing error by second baseman Drew Stankiewicz allowed Rifaela to score an unearned run against Tully. Nick Sandlin threw a scoreless eighth and Dalbert Siri threw a scoreless ninth.
The RubberDucks continued their offensive success, following up their 15-2 victory Saturday at Reading with seven runs and two home runs against the Bowie Baysox. Ka'ai Tom hits his third home run in two games with a solo shot into the right field bullpens in the fourth inning. Tom would be followed later in the fourth inning by a Daniel Johnson three-run blast, extending the RubberDucks lead to 7-0. Nellie Rodriguez went 2-for-4 and scored a run in his second game back with Akron.
Daniel Johnson has now homered in three of the past four games and driven in eight runs over that span... Ka'ai Tom has three homers in the last two games and hit safely in 7-of-his-last-8 games dating to May 5...Akron is now 7-1 vs. Bowie in 2019...Akron was 5-for-10 with RISP...Time of game: 2:35...Attendance: 2,438.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks will now play back-to-back 10:35 a.m. games Tuesday and Wednesday from Canal Park against the Bowie Baysox. RHP Jake Paulson (2-0, 4.67) is slated for Akron and LHP Zac Lowther (2-3, 2.73) is scheduled for Bowie. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Baysox Win Streak Snapped in Akron - Bowie Baysox
- Senators Take a Pair from Trenton, 2-1 & 4-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Hurt by Home Runs in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Swept by Senators in Twin Bill - Trenton Thunder
- RubberDucks Score Early, Cruise to Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- Hart's on Fire: Sea Dogs Beat Hartford 5-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Need Hart to Beat Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Fightin Phils Rained out on Monday Night - Reading Fightin Phils
- Monday's Fisher Cats - Fightin Phils DH Postponed - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rain Washes Away Series Opener against Altoona - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve-Rumble Ponies Postponed in Binghamton - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #32 Rumble Ponies (19-12) vs. Altoona Curve (17-15) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 13th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Bobby Dalbec Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Portland Sea Dogs
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for May 6th-May 12th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.