Second Period Blitz Pushes Comets Past Marlies
Utica, NY - The Comets scored four goals in four minutes in the second period to push them to a 6-4 win over the Toronto Marlies Wednesday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. Lukas Jasek scored twice and Reid Boucher recorded a Gordie Howe hat trick. Francis Perron, Guillaume Brisebois, and Kole Lind also scored for Utica. Michael DiPietro made 27 saves in the win.
Jasek got the scoring started nine minutes into the game, depositing his own rebound with a backhanded shot. Justin Bailey had the assist. Tanner MacMaster evened the game at one with a power play goal at the 17:16 mark of the first period.
Perron put the Comets back on top 1:21 into the second period after a fantastic forecheck forced a turnover in the Marlies zone and Perron buried a centering feed. Nikolay Goldobin and Carter Camper had the assists. Brisebois buried a one-timer from Boucher to go up 3-1 53 seconds later. The pressure continued when Jasek scored again from a tight angle 51 seconds after Perron's goal. Lind deposited a rebound from a Sven Baertschi shot to bring the score to 5-1 only four minutes into the middle frame. Darren Archibald ended the scoring run with 6:58 to go in the second, deflecting shot past DiPietro on the power play. Garrett Wilson cut the Comets' lead to 5-3 with one second left in the second period.
Mason Marchment got the Marlies back within one at the 12:08 mark of the third period. Boucher sealed the win with an empty net goal with 16 seconds to go in regulation.
The Comets are back at it Friday night when they host the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Puck drop is at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available at the Box Office, over the phone by calling (315) 790-9070, or online at www.empirestatetix.com. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2019
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 1 - Texas Stars
- Despite Late Push, Penguins Lose in Rochester, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Shesterkin Stifles Binghamton, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Summers Scores In 3-1 Loss At Hartford - Binghamton Devils
- Second Period Blitz Pushes Comets Past Marlies - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Drop Wednesday Night Contest to Syracuse Crunch, 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Gemel Smith Nets Hat Trick in 4-1 Crunch Win over Bruins - Syracuse Crunch
- Kupari, Bjornfot to be Assigned to World Juniors Teams - Ontario Reign
- Marlies in Utica for Clash with Comets - Toronto Marlies
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gerry Mayhew - Iowa Wild
- Florida Panthers Assign F Jayce Hawryluk to T-Birds on Conditioning Loan - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Wolves December: Star Wars, Stanley Cup, Santa Claus and More - Chicago Wolves
- Red Wings Assign Cholowski and McIlrath - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Eagles Issue Open Apology to Akim Aliu Regarding 2011 Incident - Colorado Eagles
- Robb Stauber, Derek Armstrong Named Honorary Captains for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Armstrong, Stauber Named as 2020 AHL All-Star Honorary Captains - Ontario Reign
- Kevin Hancock Loaned to Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Forward Ryan Gropp Returns to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat, Reign Battle Wednesday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Zadina Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 10 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Florida Panthers Loan F Aleksi Saarela to Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- David Kase Earns First NHL Recall - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hill Shuts out Wild, Roadrunners Return to Being AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Shut out by Tucson 2-0 - Iowa Wild
- Rocket Capture Thrilling 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters after Seven Rounds of Shootout - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utica Comets Stories
- Comets Keep Turkey Delivery an Annual Tradition
- MASL November Update
- Comets and Adirondack Bank Center to Host CNY Veteran's Outreach Center Food Donation Event
- Canucks Sign Defenseman Guillaume Brisebois to a One-Year, Two Way Contract
- Canucks Sign Center Jayce Hawryluk to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract