Shesterkin Stifles Binghamton, 3-1
Hartford, CT - Igor Shesterkin headlined a 3-1 Hartford Wolf Pack victory over the Binghamton Devils with a brilliant 29-save performance, and Tim Gettinger had the game-winning goal and an assist, Wednesday night at the XL Center.
The victory extended a Wolf Pack win streak to four games.
"He's a very smart player," said Wolf Pack head coach Kris Knoblauch after the game about Shesterkin. "One thing he does so well is puck movement. He makes a save, and instead of blowing the whistle, he tries to move the puck."
"He's been a rock for us all year," added Gettinger, "all around, just some key saves for us."
After a scoreless first period, Boo Nieves scored the first goal of the night for the Wolf Pack at 4:55 of the second, with assists from Vincent LoVerde and Gettinger. LoVerde created the scoring opportunity by putting the puck on net from the point. Gettinger tipped the shot perfectly to create the rebound for Nieves to put home.
"Perfect example of deflecting and getting a rebound," commented Knoblauch, who was pleased with his team's effort. "We got off to a good start. We had lot of possession time in the first period. Each game we've found different ways to win, tonight was one of those."
The Wolf Pack entered the third period looking to build on their 10-0-1-2 record when entering the final frame with a lead, and they did just that. Defenseman Nick Ebert's rebound found Gettinger right in the slot, while he didn't hesitate to rip it past Binghamton netminder Gilles Senn (26 saves) with 5:02 remaining, giving the Wolf Pack a two-goal cushion.
"Gettinger played really well tonight, he looks healthier and stronger," noted Knoblauch.
Gettinger's goal turned out to be the difference, as the Devils denied Shesterkin the shutout with a power-play goal at 17:49 by Kelly Summers, with Senn on the bench for a sixth skater.
Nick Jones put the game away, though, with an open-net goal with 38.3 seconds left.
"From the start of the game I thought we were moving our feet and playing well," mentioned Gettinger. "We were forechecking good. We stuck with it defensively, and it was a good team win for us."
The Wolf Pack are back in home-ice action at the XL Center this Friday night, December 13, hosting the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at 7:15 PM. Once again this season, all Friday-night Wolf Pack home games feature $1 hot dogs and $2 beers through the start of the second period, presented by Nomads Adventure Quest.
Tickets for all 2019-20 Wolf Pack home games are on sale now at the Sunwave Gas & Power Ticket Office at the XL Center, on-line at www.hartfordwolfpack.com and by phone at (877) 522-8499. Tickets purchased in advance for kids 12 or younger start at just $10 each, and all tickets will have a $3 day-of-game increase.
To speak with a Wolf Pack representative about season or group tickets, or any of the Wolf Pack's many ticketing options, call (860) 722-9425. To visit the Wolf Pack on line, go to www.hartfordwolfpack.com.
Binghamton Devils 1 at Hartford Wolf Pack 3
Wednesday - XL Center
Binghamton 0 0 1 - 1
Hartford 0 1 2 - 3
1st Period- No Scoring. Penalties-Anderson Bng (interference), 5:29.
2nd Period-1, Hartford, Nieves 2 (Gettinger, LoVerde), 4:55. Penalties-Paliotta Bng (hooking), 17:22; Di Giuseppe Hfd (tripping), 19:45.
3rd Period-2, Hartford, Gettinger 5 (Ebert, Jones), 14:58. 3, Binghamton, Summers 1 (Sharangovich, Zetterlund), 17:49 (PP). 4, Hartford, Jones 2 19:21 (EN). Penalties-Lettieri Hfd (interference), 4:16; served by Zetterlund Bng (bench minor - too many men), 10:52; Keane Hfd (holding), 16:06.
Shots on Goal-Binghamton 7-9-14-30. Hartford 7-13-9-29.
Power Play Opportunities-Binghamton 1 / 3; Hartford 0 / 3.
Goalies-Binghamton, Senn 4-5-2 (28 shots-26 saves). Hartford, Shesterkin 10-3-3 (30 shots-29 saves).
Referees-Mathieu Menniti (30), Michael Sheehan (74).
Linesmen-Robert St. Lawrence (10), Mike Baker (11).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2019
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 1 - Texas Stars
- Despite Late Push, Penguins Lose in Rochester, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Shesterkin Stifles Binghamton, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Summers Scores In 3-1 Loss At Hartford - Binghamton Devils
- Second Period Blitz Pushes Comets Past Marlies - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Drop Wednesday Night Contest to Syracuse Crunch, 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Gemel Smith Nets Hat Trick in 4-1 Crunch Win over Bruins - Syracuse Crunch
- Kupari, Bjornfot to be Assigned to World Juniors Teams - Ontario Reign
- Marlies in Utica for Clash with Comets - Toronto Marlies
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gerry Mayhew - Iowa Wild
- Florida Panthers Assign F Jayce Hawryluk to T-Birds on Conditioning Loan - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Wolves December: Star Wars, Stanley Cup, Santa Claus and More - Chicago Wolves
- Red Wings Assign Cholowski and McIlrath - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Eagles Issue Open Apology to Akim Aliu Regarding 2011 Incident - Colorado Eagles
- Robb Stauber, Derek Armstrong Named Honorary Captains for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Armstrong, Stauber Named as 2020 AHL All-Star Honorary Captains - Ontario Reign
- Kevin Hancock Loaned to Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Forward Ryan Gropp Returns to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat, Reign Battle Wednesday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Zadina Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 10 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Florida Panthers Loan F Aleksi Saarela to Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- David Kase Earns First NHL Recall - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hill Shuts out Wild, Roadrunners Return to Being AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Shut out by Tucson 2-0 - Iowa Wild
- Rocket Capture Thrilling 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters after Seven Rounds of Shootout - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Wolf Pack Stories
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Steven Fogarty Named Hartford Wolf Pack's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Alex Whelan
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Austin Rueschhoff
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Defenseman K'Andre Miller