Gemel Smith Nets Hat Trick in 4-1 Crunch Win over Bruins
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- Gemel Smith netted a hat trick as the Syracuse Crunch topped the Providence Bruins, 4-1, tonight at Dunkin' Donuts Center.
After giving up the first goal, Smith and Peter Abbandonato potted back-to-back goals less than a minute apart before Smith hit two empty nets. The win advances the Crunch to 14-9-2-0 on the season and 1-0-0-0 in the home-and-home series with the Bruins.
Goaltender Martin Spencer stopped 26-of-27 shots in net for the Crunch, while Dan Vladar turned aside 20-of-22 between the pipes for the Bruins. Syracuse converted on 1-of-4 power play opportunities and went a perfect 5-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Bruins opened scoring 2:33 into the middle stanza. Joona Koppanen set up Trent Frederic for a back-door goal from the left circle. Ryan Fitzgerald recorded the secondary helper.
The Crunch responded with a power-play goal at the 11:31 mark and proceeded to take the lead with another goal just 58 seconds later. Cal Foote started the rush behind the Crunch goal. He skated through the neutral zone and split the defense before passing over for Smith to snipe a shot from the left circle.
Less than a minute later, Danick Martel passed ahead for Peter Abbandonato and Daniel Walcott to come in on a 2-on-1. After getting a cross-slot feed, Walcott backhanded a shot from the right circle that trickled past Vladar for Abbandonato to push across the goal line.
With 1:15 remaining in the game, Smith hit an empty net with the help of Martel and Alex Barre-Boulet. Less than a minute later, he completed the hat trick with another empty-netter off assists from Taylor Raddysh and Cory Conacher.
The Crunch travel to face the Charlotte Checkers on Friday at 7 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Gemel Smith recorded his second professional hat trick tonight. His last was March 8, 2017 against Grand Rapids...The last Crunch hat trick was Jan. 26 by Carter Verhaeghe against Rochester.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2019
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 1 - Texas Stars
- Despite Late Push, Penguins Lose in Rochester, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Shesterkin Stifles Binghamton, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Summers Scores In 3-1 Loss At Hartford - Binghamton Devils
- Second Period Blitz Pushes Comets Past Marlies - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Drop Wednesday Night Contest to Syracuse Crunch, 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Gemel Smith Nets Hat Trick in 4-1 Crunch Win over Bruins - Syracuse Crunch
- Kupari, Bjornfot to be Assigned to World Juniors Teams - Ontario Reign
- Marlies in Utica for Clash with Comets - Toronto Marlies
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gerry Mayhew - Iowa Wild
- Florida Panthers Assign F Jayce Hawryluk to T-Birds on Conditioning Loan - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Wolves December: Star Wars, Stanley Cup, Santa Claus and More - Chicago Wolves
- Red Wings Assign Cholowski and McIlrath - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Eagles Issue Open Apology to Akim Aliu Regarding 2011 Incident - Colorado Eagles
- Robb Stauber, Derek Armstrong Named Honorary Captains for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Armstrong, Stauber Named as 2020 AHL All-Star Honorary Captains - Ontario Reign
- Kevin Hancock Loaned to Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Forward Ryan Gropp Returns to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat, Reign Battle Wednesday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Zadina Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 10 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Florida Panthers Loan F Aleksi Saarela to Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- David Kase Earns First NHL Recall - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hill Shuts out Wild, Roadrunners Return to Being AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Shut out by Tucson 2-0 - Iowa Wild
- Rocket Capture Thrilling 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters after Seven Rounds of Shootout - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.