Rocket Capture Thrilling 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters after Seven Rounds of Shootout
LAVAL - Charles Hudon scored the game-tying goal with less than five minutes left in regulation leading to a thrilling finale to the tilt with seven shootout rounds and a 3-2 (SO) victory over familiar North Division foe, the Cleveland Monsters, Tuesday night at Place Bell.
Dale Weise scored the game-winning goal. Captain Xavier Ouellet recorded an assist in his 250th game in the AHL. Lindgren, who made 21 saves in 65 minutes of play, shone in the shootout, stopping five of seven shooters. The Rocket have captured four wins in six games over the Monsters this season and maintain a perfect record in the shootout with five victories. Laval also snapped Cleveland's perfect 7-0-0-0 record when leading after two periods.
Nathan Gerbe and Kevin Stenlund each registered a goal and an assist in the opening period to give Cleveland a 2-0 lead. Against the Rocket, the former has tallied five points (1 G, 4 A) in six games and the latter has also recorded five points (1 G, 4 A) in as many outings.
Dale Weise cut the Monsters' lead by half after scoring on a breakaway. Kevin Lynch earned an assist. Hudon unleashed a snipe from the right faceoff circle to tie the game on the powerplay. In the shootout, Hudon, Michael Pezzetta and Dale Weise defeated netminder Veini Vehvilainen en route to a 3-2 (SO) victory over their rivals.
"Big game for us. At home like this, we want to get consecutive wins and it feels good to get this one. We are missing a few players and tonight everybody stepped up and it's good for us," said Ouellet after the win.
LAV: Weise (Lynch) | Hudon (Ouellet, Poehling)
CLE: Gerbe (Clendening, Stenlund) | Stenlund (Gerbe, Hannikainen)
Unités spéciales/Special teams
LAV | AN/PP: 1/9 | IN/PK: 3/4
CLE | AN/PP: 1/4| IN/PK: 8/9
LAV: Lindgren (21/23) | CLE: Vehvilainen (28/30)
Trois étoiles/Three stars
1. Hudon - LAV 2. Weise - LAV 3. Cox - LAV
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2019
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 1 - Texas Stars
- Despite Late Push, Penguins Lose in Rochester, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Shesterkin Stifles Binghamton, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Summers Scores In 3-1 Loss At Hartford - Binghamton Devils
- Second Period Blitz Pushes Comets Past Marlies - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Drop Wednesday Night Contest to Syracuse Crunch, 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Gemel Smith Nets Hat Trick in 4-1 Crunch Win over Bruins - Syracuse Crunch
- Kupari, Bjornfot to be Assigned to World Juniors Teams - Ontario Reign
- Marlies in Utica for Clash with Comets - Toronto Marlies
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Gerry Mayhew - Iowa Wild
- Florida Panthers Assign F Jayce Hawryluk to T-Birds on Conditioning Loan - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Wolves December: Star Wars, Stanley Cup, Santa Claus and More - Chicago Wolves
- Red Wings Assign Cholowski and McIlrath - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Eagles Issue Open Apology to Akim Aliu Regarding 2011 Incident - Colorado Eagles
- Robb Stauber, Derek Armstrong Named Honorary Captains for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Armstrong, Stauber Named as 2020 AHL All-Star Honorary Captains - Ontario Reign
- Kevin Hancock Loaned to Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Forward Ryan Gropp Returns to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat, Reign Battle Wednesday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Zadina Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 10 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Florida Panthers Loan F Aleksi Saarela to Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- David Kase Earns First NHL Recall - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hill Shuts out Wild, Roadrunners Return to Being AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Shut out by Tucson 2-0 - Iowa Wild
- Rocket Capture Thrilling 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters after Seven Rounds of Shootout - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Canadiens Loan Josh Brook to the Krefeld Pinguine
- American Hockey League Targeting February 5 as Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Canadiens Sign Defenseman Xavier Ouellet to a Two-Year Contract Extension
- Canadiens Agree to Terms on a One-Year Contract with Forward Brandon Baddock
- Canadiens Sign Defenseman Noah Juulsen to a One-Year Contract Extension