Saracino's Late Goal Wins Road Trip Opener
RAPID CITY, SD- The Wheeling Nailers and Rapid City Rush had never played each other before Wednesday night, but there was plenty of emotion in the late stages of the one-goal match at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center. Nick Saracino netted his first goal of the season with 2:06 left in the third period, snapping a deadlock, and lifting the Nailers to a 4-3 road victory. Blake Siebenaler added a goal and an assist, while Jordan Ruby made 32 saves.
Both teams were eager to get the game started, as it took just 1:07 for the two sides to record goals. Rapid City struck first at the 45-second mark. Keeghan Howdeshell wound his way around the offensive zone, before wrapping the puck out to the point, where Chris Leibinger pounded a shot in along the ice. The Nailers answered in a matter of 22 seconds. Alec Butcher deked his way into the left circle, where he whipped a shot through goaltender Tyler Parks.
The next 45 minutes went by without a goal, but the final 12 minutes provided plenty of excitement. Blake Siebenaler gave Wheeling its first lead of the contest at the 8:19 mark of the third period, when he zipped in a wrist shot from the slot. The Rush answered 42 seconds late, as Tyler Poulsen slipped in a shot from low on the right side. The Nailers went ahead again with a tap-in fron Christopher Brown, but once again, Rapid City responded, as Trey Phillips cashed in on a scramble around the net. However, just 34 seconds after that, Wheeling took a final lead, as Nick Saracino grabbed the rebound of Siebenaler's point shot, and tucked his first goal of the year into the left side of the cage. The Nailers had to kill a penalty for the final 1:34 of the game, and did so successfully, closing out the 4-3 win.
Jordan Ruby earned the victory in goal for Wheeling, turning away 32 of the 35 shots he faced, including 18 of 20 in the third period. Tyler Parks took the loss for the Rush, despite making 37 saves on 41 shots.
The Nailers and Rush will play twice more this week on Friday and Saturday, with both games starting at 9:05. Wheeling will then return home on December 20th at 7:05 for a Frosty Friday against the Toledo Walleye, then Office Night on December 21st, starring Leslie David Baker. The Nailers will also play at home on New Year's Eve, while the next Big Six Promotional Night is Nickelodeon Night featuring Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on January 11th. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 12, 2019
- IceMen & Mayor Curry Announce Details for Guns 'n Hoses Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Comeback Bid Falls Short in OT Loss to Fuel - Toledo Walleye
- Indy Defeats Toledo with Dramatic Overtime Win - Indy Fuel
- Whalers-Generals Kick off Triple Header at Norfolk Scope on Jan 25th - Norfolk Admirals
- Tucson Calls up Klima and Hancock - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Synovus Set for this Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 12 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Acquire Goaltender Martin Ouellette in Trade - Utah Grizzlies
- Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Home Weekend for Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Introduce Spike's Reading Club - Toledo Walleye
- Mavericks Collect 4,717 Stuffed Toys from Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Kansas City Mavericks
- Canucks Reassign Pope to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys - Idaho Steelheads
- Time Change Announced for December Game - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Goals Leader Cuddemi Earns PTO with Laval - Reading Royals
- Grizz Get Standings Point in 4-3 OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers Hold off Late Rush Rally - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting - Idaho Steelheads
- Saracino's Late Goal Wins Road Trip Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Overtime Victory in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.