Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (12-9-5) went back and forth in a fast-paced game but fell 4-2 to the Fort Wayne Komets (15-7-2) on Wednesday night from CenturyLink Arena.
After a quick first period, scoring picked up in the second period, and the Komets grabbed the first goal of the franchise series at 11:50 on a breakout pass to forward Brett McKenzie for a chip shot and the 1-0 lead. The Steelheads answered back at 16:46 when forward Marc-Olivier Roy fed forward Tye Felhaber for a one-time deflection off the right post, sending the game to the final frame tied at 1-1.
The Komets came out with two quick goals beginning with a body bounce off forward Brad Ross at 0:30 to take back the lead followed by the second tally by McKenzie at 2:52 to stretch it to two goals, 3-1. With the goaltender pulled and on a power play, Roy set up Steelheads forward Kyle Schempp to direct a low shot for forward A.J. White off the right post at 17:43 to draw within one at 3-2. However, Komets forward Shawn St-Amant led a shot into the empty net at 18:02, curtailing the comeback bid and the 4-2 scoreline.
Komets netminder Cole Kehler (8-2-0) halted 21 of 23 shots in the win, while Steelheads goaltender Colton Point (3-5-1) stopped 21 of 24 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Komets meet again on Friday, Dec. 13 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-331-TIXS(8497) or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket" as well as 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & ECHL.tv.
Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 12, 2019
- IceMen & Mayor Curry Announce Details for Guns 'n Hoses Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Comeback Bid Falls Short in OT Loss to Fuel - Toledo Walleye
- Indy Defeats Toledo with Dramatic Overtime Win - Indy Fuel
- Whalers-Generals Kick off Triple Header at Norfolk Scope on Jan 25th - Norfolk Admirals
- Tucson Calls up Klima and Hancock - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Synovus Set for this Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 12 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Acquire Goaltender Martin Ouellette in Trade - Utah Grizzlies
- Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Home Weekend for Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Introduce Spike's Reading Club - Toledo Walleye
- Mavericks Collect 4,717 Stuffed Toys from Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Kansas City Mavericks
- Canucks Reassign Pope to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys - Idaho Steelheads
- Time Change Announced for December Game - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Goals Leader Cuddemi Earns PTO with Laval - Reading Royals
- Grizz Get Standings Point in 4-3 OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers Hold off Late Rush Rally - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting - Idaho Steelheads
- Saracino's Late Goal Wins Road Trip Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Overtime Victory in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.