Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (12-9-5) went back and forth in a fast-paced game but fell 4-2 to the Fort Wayne Komets (15-7-2) on Wednesday night from CenturyLink Arena.
After a quick first period, scoring picked up in the second period, and the Komets grabbed the first goal of the franchise series at 11:50 on a breakout pass to forward Brett McKenzie for a chip shot and the 1-0 lead. The Steelheads answered back at 16:46 when forward Marc-Olivier Roy fed forward Tye Felhaber for a one-time deflection off the right post, sending the game to the final frame tied at 1-1.
The Komets came out with two quick goals beginning with a body bounce off forward Brad Ross at 0:30 to take back the lead followed by the second tally by McKenzie at 2:52 to stretch it to two goals, 3-1. With the goaltender pulled and on a power play, Roy set up Steelheads forward Kyle Schempp to direct a low shot for forward A.J. White off the right post at 17:43 to draw within one at 3-2. However, Komets forward Shawn St-Amant led a shot into the empty net at 18:02, curtailing the comeback bid and the 4-2 scoreline.
Komets netminder Cole Kehler (8-2-0) halted 21 of 23 shots in the win, while Steelheads goaltender Colton Point (3-5-1) stopped 21 of 24 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Komets meet again on Friday, Dec. 13 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-331-TIXS(8497) or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket" as well as 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & ECHL.tv.
Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 12, 2019
- IceMen & Mayor Curry Announce Details for Guns 'n Hoses Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Comeback Bid Falls Short in OT Loss to Fuel - Toledo Walleye
- Indy Defeats Toledo with Dramatic Overtime Win - Indy Fuel
- Whalers-Generals Kick off Triple Header at Norfolk Scope on Jan 25th - Norfolk Admirals
- Tucson Calls up Klima and Hancock - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Synovus Set for this Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 12 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Acquire Goaltender Martin Ouellette in Trade - Utah Grizzlies
- Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Home Weekend for Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Introduce Spike's Reading Club - Toledo Walleye
- Mavericks Collect 4,717 Stuffed Toys from Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Kansas City Mavericks
- Canucks Reassign Pope to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys - Idaho Steelheads
- Time Change Announced for December Game - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Goals Leader Cuddemi Earns PTO with Laval - Reading Royals
- Grizz Get Standings Point in 4-3 OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers Hold off Late Rush Rally - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting - Idaho Steelheads
- Saracino's Late Goal Wins Road Trip Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Overtime Victory in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Fall 3-1 in Home Weekend Finale Sellout to Oilers
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl Returns from Recall to Texas Stars
- Supinski Seals Steelheads 2-1 Overtime Win over Oilers in Sellout
- Steelheads Slip in Return Home, 4-1, to Oilers
- Steelheads Sign Goaltender Arthur Brey Ahead of Tonight's Game