Growlers Take Overtime Victory in Utah
The Newfoundland Growlers capped off a long few days of travel with a 4-3 overtime victory over the Utah Grizzles at the Maverik Center in West Valley City, Utah Wednesday night.
The Grizzlies opened the scoring after Tim McGauley slid the puck under an out-stretched Maksim Zhukov just five-minutes into the game. Marcus Power responded for the Growlers after jumping on a loose puck in front of Grizzles goalie Brad Barone to tie the game at one.
Marcus Power continued to work his magic in the second period as he pounced on another Grizzles rebound and tucked the puck up and under the crossbar to give the Growlers a 2-1 lead 9:13 seconds into the frame. Former Growler, Griffen Molino made good on a shorthanded breakaway chance for the Grizzlies to tie the game at two heading into the third period of play.
The back and forth scoring trend continued in the third, Giorgio Estephan netted a nifty backhand goal after splitting the Grizzles defence 8:01 into the period but the group from Utah replied two minutes later with goal from Joe Wegwerth.
The game headed to overtime where former Growlers goalie Brad Barone mishandled the puck leading to an awkward bank-in goal by Joseph Duszak to secure the 4-3 overtime victory for the Growlers.
Marcus Power has recorded 6 goals in his past 6 games
Newfoundland Growlers have won 6 games in a row
The three stars were 3 - T. McGauley (UTA), 2 - G. Molino (UTA) and 1 - J. Duszak (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers take on the Utah Grizzles once again Friday night in West Valley City, Utah. Puck drop is 10:40 p.m. Newfoundland time. Fans can tune into Chris Ballard's call of the game at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
Newfoundland Growlers (18-8-0-0) at Utah Grizzlies (9-8-4-1)
Wednesday, December 11th - Maverik Center - West Valley City, Utah
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
0 - 1 1 1st UTA 5:09 T. McGauley (7) G. Molino, T. Richart V 6 11 26 27 29 H 11 16 17 18 23
1 - 1 2 1st NFL 17:14 M. Power (10) V 3 9 13 17 21 H 4 16 17 20 23
2 - 1 3 2nd NFL 9:13 M. Power (11) M. Kapla, R. Woods V 8 11 13 36 45 H 4 16 17 20 23
2 - 2 4 2nd UTA 10:25 G. Molino (6) T. Zahn, T. McGauley SH V 9 11 13 27 29 H 11 17 18 23
3 - 2 5 3rd NFL 8:01 G. Estephan (11) A. Luchuk, M. Kapla V 11 26 27 29 36 H 3 10 18 19 40
3 - 3 6 3rd UTA 11:12 J. Wegwerth (6) T. Richart, J. Jenkins V 3 7 15 21 45 H 4 11 24 26 28
4 - 3 7 OT NFL 1:37 J. Duszak (6) V 8 21 26 H 10 11 16
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 12, 2019
- IceMen & Mayor Curry Announce Details for Guns 'n Hoses Game - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Comeback Bid Falls Short in OT Loss to Fuel - Toledo Walleye
- Indy Defeats Toledo with Dramatic Overtime Win - Indy Fuel
- Whalers-Generals Kick off Triple Header at Norfolk Scope on Jan 25th - Norfolk Admirals
- Tucson Calls up Klima and Hancock - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Synovus Set for this Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 12 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Acquire Goaltender Martin Ouellette in Trade - Utah Grizzlies
- Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Home Weekend for Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Introduce Spike's Reading Club - Toledo Walleye
- Mavericks Collect 4,717 Stuffed Toys from Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Kansas City Mavericks
- Canucks Reassign Pope to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys - Idaho Steelheads
- Time Change Announced for December Game - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Goals Leader Cuddemi Earns PTO with Laval - Reading Royals
- Grizz Get Standings Point in 4-3 OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers Hold off Late Rush Rally - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting - Idaho Steelheads
- Saracino's Late Goal Wins Road Trip Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Overtime Victory in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.