Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads have announced another record-setting donation total from Saturday's 22nd annual Teddy Bear Toss For Tots, in partnership with the Idaho Steelheads Booster Club and the U.S. Marine Corps, sending 8,088 toys onto the ice at CenturyLink Arena.
This marks the fourth-straight season that the Steelheads have set a new record and the first time breaching the 8,000-toy plateau, blowing out last year's previous record by over one thousand stuffed animals and plush toys. The Steelheads and the community have worked together to donate more than 7,000 stuffed animals for three-straight years, reaching a 7,085-toy count last season and 7,023 stuffed animals in 2017-18.
All toys and stuffed animals will be donated to the U.S. Marine Corps' local Toys For Tots Program.
In addition, the event collected over $3,500 in cash donations, a total largely pushed by stuffed animal sales inside the arena by the Idaho Steelheads Booster Club.
"The generosity of the Steelheads and Treasure Valley communities grows year after year with the Teddy Bear Toss For Tots, and we are grateful for their support in setting yet another record," said Steelheads President Eric Trapp. "This is a very close-knit community with a lot of caring and thoughtful people, and the enthusiasm shown each season for this event is remarkable and humbling.
"There's a reason why this event continues to thrive, and it's largely due to the efforts of the Idaho Steelheads Booster Club and the U.S. Marine Corps. We cannot thank them enough for what they do not only for this event but also ensuring a lot of children in our community benefit from the love and joy shown by the Treasure Valley this holiday season."
The Steelheads continue their three-game weekend against the Fort Wayne Komets during the final week of their homestand on Friday, Dec. 13 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena.
Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 12, 2019
- IceMen & Mayor Curry Announce Details for Guns 'n Hoses Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Comeback Bid Falls Short in OT Loss to Fuel - Toledo Walleye
- Indy Defeats Toledo with Dramatic Overtime Win - Indy Fuel
- Whalers-Generals Kick off Triple Header at Norfolk Scope on Jan 25th - Norfolk Admirals
- Tucson Calls up Klima and Hancock - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Synovus Set for this Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 12 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Acquire Goaltender Martin Ouellette in Trade - Utah Grizzlies
- Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Home Weekend for Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Introduce Spike's Reading Club - Toledo Walleye
- Mavericks Collect 4,717 Stuffed Toys from Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Kansas City Mavericks
- Canucks Reassign Pope to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys - Idaho Steelheads
- Time Change Announced for December Game - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Goals Leader Cuddemi Earns PTO with Laval - Reading Royals
- Grizz Get Standings Point in 4-3 OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers Hold off Late Rush Rally - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting - Idaho Steelheads
- Saracino's Late Goal Wins Road Trip Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Take Overtime Victory in Utah - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.