Santa Cruz Drops to Oklahoma City in Heartbreaking Overtime Loss
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK. - The defending NBA D-League Champion Santa Cruz Warriors (14-25) fell to the Oklahoma City Blue (14-24) 107-106 on Friday at Cox Convention Center.
Darington Hobson and Verdell Jones III paced the Warriors with 25 points apiece. Aaron Craft recorded a double- double, finishing with 14 points, 12 assists, and 8 rebounds.
Oklahoma City Thunder assignee Mitch McGary scored a career-high 32 points and 13 rebounds to lead the Blue past Santa Cruz. Dwight Buycks finished the night with 27 points, eight rebounds, five assists and three steals.
Santa Cruz quickly advanced to 6-0, keeping the Blue scoreless for the first three minutes of the opening frame. Oklahoma City would take their first lead of the game after going on a 9-0 run to edge the Warriors by two points at the 3:29 mark. Santa Cruz would respond with an 8-2 run to hold the two-point edge heading into the second period.
The two teams would trade buckets early in the second quarter until the Blue went on a 17-0 run to secure a 56-42 lead with just over two minutes to play in the first half. A 4-0 run to end the quarter would cut Santa Cruz's deficit to 10 points heading into the break.
The Blue led the entire third quarter, but the Warriors stayed within striking distance throughout the period. The fourth quarter saw a tightly-contested battle for the edge, complete with three lead changes and five ties.
The Warriors led 97-92 with 50 seconds remaining in regulation before Dwight Buycks cut the deficit to two by making a floater, drawing the foul, and sinking the following free throw. After the Warriors and Blue exchanged buckets, Golden State assignee Kevon Looney put the Warriors up 100-97 at the foul line.
With 6.9 seconds on the clock, Buycks narrowly missed a game-tying three attempt. Josh Huestis pulled down the offensive board and kicked it out to an open Buycks - this time hitting his mark from behind the arc and forcing overtime.
McGary scored five of the Blue's seven overtime points - including the go-ahead free throw with 15.6 seconds remaining. The Blue's JP Tokoto would pull down the game-sealing free throw on Santa Cruz's final possession.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will once again face the Oklahoma City Blue tomorrow night at 5 p.m at Cox Convention Center. Fans can watch the game on the NBA D-League's YouTube channel, via www.santacruzbasketball.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 4, 2016
- Santa Cruz Drops to Oklahoma City in Heartbreaking Overtime Loss - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Clinch Playoff Birth in Blowout Victory - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Bests Warriors in Overtime - Oklahoma City Blue
- Skyforce Acquire Toure Murry - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Grand Rapids Roughed up by Sioux Falls, 118-85 - Grand Rapids Drive
- Legends Acquire Pierre Jackson in Trade with Idaho - Texas Legends
- Legends Acquire Andre Dawkins in Trade with Sioux Falls - Texas Legends
- Stampede Acquire Player Rights to Eric Griffin from Legends - Idaho Stampede
- Dawson's Double-Double Not Enough in Loss to Vipers - Erie BayHawks
- Atlanta Hawks Recall Tavares from NBA Development League - Bakersfield Jam
- Josh Huestis and Mitch McGary Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
- Bakersfield Protest Granted - Reno Bighorns
- Bakersfield Protest Granted - Bakersfield Jam
- Bakersfield Protest Granted - G League
- Raptors 905 Acquires Fourth-Round Pick from Texas Legends - Raptors 905
- Legends Acquire Melvin Johnson III in Trade with Raptors 905 - Texas Legends
- Raptors 905 Acquires Davion Berry from Maine Red Claws - Raptors 905
- Stampede Acquire Future Draft Pick from 905 - Idaho Stampede
- Austin Spurs this Weekend - Austin Spurs
- D-Fenders Acquire Jeff Ayres - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Raptors 905 Acquires E.J. Singler from Idaho Stampede - Raptors 905
- Fwd: Rockets Assign Montrezl Harrell and K.J. McDaniels to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jam Dropped by D-Fenders - Bakersfield Jam
- Blue and Brown Push D-Fenders Past Jam - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Reno Takes Revenge on Texas - Texas Legends
- Bighorns Lead All 48 Minutes - Reno Bighorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Conclude 2018-19 Season with Defeat to Rio Grande Valley Vipers, 144-125
- Santa Cruz Warriors Advance to Western Conference Finals, Beat the Blue 117-102
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz
- Warriors Beat Agua Caliente Clippers 113-109, Match Best Record in NBA G League