Skyforce Clinch Playoff Birth in Blowout Victory
Sioux Falls, SD - The Sioux Falls Skyforce (30-8) ran away from the Grand Rapids Drive (18-20) on their way to a 118-85 victory. Sioux Falls became the first team to clinch a spot in the 2016 NBA Development League playoffs and are now tied with the 2009-10 Iowa Energy for the best record through a team's first 38 games of a season.
The Skyforce got out to an early lead and the Drive were never able to recover as Sioux Falls outscored Grand Rapids by at least 10 points in three different quarters. Shooting percentage served as one of the main differences between the two teams tonight, as the Skyforce shot 61 percent from the field compared to just 37.5 percent shooting from the Drive.
Rodney McGruder (22 points, six assists, four rebounds), Briante Weber (22 points, 10 rebounds, six assists), and newly acquired forward Jarnell Stokes (20 points, five rebounds) each recorded over 10 points in the win for Sioux Falls. The three of them combined to make 26 of their 34 shot attempts. Weber finished with a +/- stat of plus-41 in the game and recorded one of two double-doubles for the Skyforce, the other coming from Keith Benson who recorded 17 points and 13 rebounds off the bench.
Performances from Lorenzo Brown (22 points), Devin Ebanks (19 points), and Henry Sims (11 points, 12 rebounds) led the way for Grand Rapids in the losing effort. Though they limited their turnovers to just 10, the Drive finished with just nine total assists in the game as opposed to 28 assists from Sioux Falls.
The Skyforce have now held opponents under 50 percent shooting in 35 of their 38 games this season and with a 22-point advantage on the night, they improve to 26-3 when outscoring their opponents in the paint.
The Skyforce will look to earn the best NBA D-League record through a team's first 39 games tomorrow night in the second game of a back-to-back home stand against the Grand Rapids Drive.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 4, 2016
- Santa Cruz Drops to Oklahoma City in Heartbreaking Overtime Loss - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Clinch Playoff Birth in Blowout Victory - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Bests Warriors in Overtime - Oklahoma City Blue
- Skyforce Acquire Toure Murry - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Grand Rapids Roughed up by Sioux Falls, 118-85 - Grand Rapids Drive
- Legends Acquire Pierre Jackson in Trade with Idaho - Texas Legends
- Legends Acquire Andre Dawkins in Trade with Sioux Falls - Texas Legends
- Stampede Acquire Player Rights to Eric Griffin from Legends - Idaho Stampede
- Dawson's Double-Double Not Enough in Loss to Vipers - Erie BayHawks
- Atlanta Hawks Recall Tavares from NBA Development League - Bakersfield Jam
- Josh Huestis and Mitch McGary Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
- Bakersfield Protest Granted - Reno Bighorns
- Bakersfield Protest Granted - Bakersfield Jam
- Bakersfield Protest Granted - G League
- Raptors 905 Acquires Fourth-Round Pick from Texas Legends - Raptors 905
- Legends Acquire Melvin Johnson III in Trade with Raptors 905 - Texas Legends
- Raptors 905 Acquires Davion Berry from Maine Red Claws - Raptors 905
- Stampede Acquire Future Draft Pick from 905 - Idaho Stampede
- Austin Spurs this Weekend - Austin Spurs
- D-Fenders Acquire Jeff Ayres - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Raptors 905 Acquires E.J. Singler from Idaho Stampede - Raptors 905
- Fwd: Rockets Assign Montrezl Harrell and K.J. McDaniels to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jam Dropped by D-Fenders - Bakersfield Jam
- Blue and Brown Push D-Fenders Past Jam - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Reno Takes Revenge on Texas - Texas Legends
- Bighorns Lead All 48 Minutes - Reno Bighorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Skyforce Stories
- Jack, Skyforce Outlast Wolves in Road Win
- Jeffries, Kings Run Away with 118-98 Victory over Skyforce
- Hustle Finish Strong against Sioux Falls, Stay Unbeaten at Home
- Martin's Hot Second Half Gives Skyforce 129-94 Victory over Suns
- Macon, Alexander Lead Skyforce Past Suns