Grand Rapids Roughed up by Sioux Falls, 118-85
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Grand Rapids Drive started a five-game road trip on the wrong foot.
Grand Rapids was just 38 percent from the field and lost 118-85 to the Sioux Falls Skyforce on Friday night in front of 3,015 fans at the Sanford Pentagon.
Grand Rapids, the affiliate of the Detroit Pistons, falls to 18-20. Sioux Falls, whose parent team is the Miami Heat, improves to a D-League best record of 30-8 and has beaten Grand Rapids in all four meetings. The Skyforce lead the Central Division by 5 1/2 games over Canton. The Drive is third, 11 games out.
Henry Sims had his 13th double-double of the season. The 6-foot-10 center out of Georgetown had 11 points and 12 rebounds. Lorenzo Brown had a team-high 22 points for Grand Rapids. Devin Ebanks added 19 points and Ralston Turner had a season-high eight points.
Grand Rapids entered the game as the best team in the D-League from the free-throw line, shooting 79 percent. But the Drive, which trailed by as many as 29 points in the game, were 59 percent from the line.
It was a rough first half for the Drive, which trailed 62-33 at the break. They shot just 33 percent from the field and 63 percent from the free-throw line. Ebanks and Jones each had nine points at the half for Grand Rapids.
Rodney McGruder and Briante Weber each had 22 points to lead the Skyforce.
The same two teams will play again Saturday night at 8 p.m. EST. Grand Rapids next home game is on March 16 against Westchester.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 4, 2016
- Santa Cruz Drops to Oklahoma City in Heartbreaking Overtime Loss - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Clinch Playoff Birth in Blowout Victory - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Bests Warriors in Overtime - Oklahoma City Blue
- Skyforce Acquire Toure Murry - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Grand Rapids Roughed up by Sioux Falls, 118-85 - Grand Rapids Drive
- Legends Acquire Pierre Jackson in Trade with Idaho - Texas Legends
- Legends Acquire Andre Dawkins in Trade with Sioux Falls - Texas Legends
- Stampede Acquire Player Rights to Eric Griffin from Legends - Idaho Stampede
- Dawson's Double-Double Not Enough in Loss to Vipers - Erie BayHawks
- Atlanta Hawks Recall Tavares from NBA Development League - Bakersfield Jam
- Josh Huestis and Mitch McGary Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
- Bakersfield Protest Granted - Reno Bighorns
- Bakersfield Protest Granted - Bakersfield Jam
- Bakersfield Protest Granted - G League
- Raptors 905 Acquires Fourth-Round Pick from Texas Legends - Raptors 905
- Legends Acquire Melvin Johnson III in Trade with Raptors 905 - Texas Legends
- Raptors 905 Acquires Davion Berry from Maine Red Claws - Raptors 905
- Stampede Acquire Future Draft Pick from 905 - Idaho Stampede
- Austin Spurs this Weekend - Austin Spurs
- D-Fenders Acquire Jeff Ayres - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Raptors 905 Acquires E.J. Singler from Idaho Stampede - Raptors 905
- Fwd: Rockets Assign Montrezl Harrell and K.J. McDaniels to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jam Dropped by D-Fenders - Bakersfield Jam
- Blue and Brown Push D-Fenders Past Jam - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Reno Takes Revenge on Texas - Texas Legends
- Bighorns Lead All 48 Minutes - Reno Bighorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.