San Diego Trips up Eagles in Overtime, 4-3
SAN DIEGO, CA. - Defenseman Jacob Larsson buried the game-winning goal 3:18 into sudden-death overtime, as the San Diego Gulls erased a 2-0 deficit to defeat the Colorado Eagles, 4-3 on Saturday. Eagles forwards Julien Nantel, Jayson Megna and Shane Bowers all netted goals in the losing effort. Goaltender Hunter Miska suffered the overtime loss, stopping 40 of the 44 shots he faced in the contest.
Colorado would waste little time before claiming the game's first lead, as Nantel would dart through the left-wing circle before snapping a shot that would beat Gulls goalie Anthony Stolarz to put the Eagles on top 1-0 just 23 seconds into the contest.
The advantage would stretch to a pair when Megna grabbed a rebound on top of the crease and slammed the puck into the back of the net to give Colorado a 2-0 lead at the 1:54 mark of the first period.
The opening frame would also see two fights, as Erik Condra dropped the gloves with Corey Tropp, while Colin Campbell squared off with Max Jones.
Trailing 2-0 after 20 minutes of play, San Diego would carve into the Eagles lead when forward Antoine Morand settled a centering pass on top of the crease and wired it past Miska to trim the Eagles advantage to 2-1 just 3:38 into the second period.
As the middle frame neared its end, a Colorado turnover deep in the Eagles zone would allow forward Devin Sideroff to smack a puck across the goal line during a net-mouth scramble. The tally would tie the game at 2-2 with only 15 seconds left to play in the period.
The Gulls would claim their first lead of the night when defenseman Patrick Sieloff took advantage of a faceoff win in the Eagles zone and blitzed a slapshot from the left point that would light the lamp and give San Diego a 3-2 advantage at the 11:46 mark of the third period.
Colorado would generate an answer late in regulation when A.J. Greer fed a pass to Bowers on the side of the crease, allowing the rookie forward to sweep a shot past Stolarz and tie the game at 3-3 with 2:31 remaining in the third period.
Still deadlocked at 3-3 at the end of 60 minutes, the two teams would head to a sudden-death overtime period. With only 1:42 remaining in the extra session, Larsson would barrel his way through the slot before tucking a backhander past Miska to give San Diego the 4-3 victory. Stolarz earned the win in net, stopping 29 of the 32 shots thrown his way.
The Eagles finished a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill but were held 0-for-4 on the power play. Colorado was outshot by the Gulls, 44-32.
The Eagles return to action when they host the San Diego Gulls on Friday, December 13th at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2019
- Rampage Rally Falls Short in Loss to Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Lose in Overtime to Hershey, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Rally Past Penguins, Sweep Rivalry Weekend - Hershey Bears
- The Force Awakens with the IceHogs on Star Wars Night - Rockford IceHogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Lettieri's Pair Pace Wolf Pack in 4-1 Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Canes Recall Gauthier from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Marlies and Rampage Close out Back to Back Today at Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Austin Poganski Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Assign Aquin, Vail to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- JC Beaudin Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Penguins, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- San Diego Trips up Eagles in Overtime, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Finish Rally in OT - San Diego Gulls
- Rally Finished in Shootout, a 5-4 Reign Win - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Earn Point in Shootout Loss at Ontario - San Jose Barracuda
- Hot Start Ushers Roadrunners To Win In Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Score Three Unanswered Goals in a 4-3 Victory over the T-Birds - Laval Rocket
- Heat Roll to 7-3 Victory over Bakersfield Saturday - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Eagles Sign Four Avalanche Draft Picks to Tryout Agreements
- Eagles Sign Forward Alexandre Fortin to AHL Contract
- Colorado Eagles to Begin 2020-21 AHL Season February 5th
- Colorado Eagles Add Toughness, Scoring with O'Brien
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient