Penguins Lose in Overtime to Hershey, 3-2
HERSHEY, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins battled to a 3-2 overtime loss against the Hershey Bears on Sunday night at Giant Center.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (13-8-3-1) received a sensational, 32-save showing from goaltender Casey DeSmith. However, the Penguins' opponent broke through in the third period and earned the extra point with Joe Snively's game-winner at 2:50 of overtime.
The Penguins got off to a hot start by tallying twice in under two minutes to seize a 2-0 lead. The first goal of the night came from Sam Miletic, who made a jaw-dropping move at the net-front and delivered a backhand finish 6:32 into the game. Anthony Angello notched another one for the black and gold just 1:44 later.
DeSmith turned in one of his finest saves of the season in the dying seconds of the opening frame, rocketing his body across the crease to deny Snively on a two-on-one. The reigning CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month continued to stonewall the Bears after the intermission.
During the second period, Hershey generated 18 shots on goal. DeSmith denied all 18, maintaining his team's two-goal lead through 40 minutes of play.
Hershey finally put their first point on the board with a man-advantage marker by Matt Mouslon at 2:35. The Bears tied the game, 2-2, at 8:45 with a seeing-eye point shot from Christian Djoos.
Snively ended the game in overtime on an odd-man rush with Mike Sgarbossa. Sgarbossa's wrist shot rang off the crossbar, but kicked right to Snively who wasted no time slamming the puck to the back of the net.
Pheonix Copley earned the win in net for Hershey, amassing 23 saves through regulation and OT.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Wednesday, Dec. 11 when it travels to take on the Rochester Americans at Blue Cross Arena. The Penguins next home game is Wednesday. Dec. 18 against the Providence Bruins. Puck drop between the Penguins and Bruins is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including Full Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's state-of-the-art, high-definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2019-20 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2019
- Rampage Rally Falls Short in Loss to Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Lose in Overtime to Hershey, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Rally Past Penguins, Sweep Rivalry Weekend - Hershey Bears
- The Force Awakens with the IceHogs on Star Wars Night - Rockford IceHogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Lettieri's Pair Pace Wolf Pack in 4-1 Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Canes Recall Gauthier from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Marlies and Rampage Close out Back to Back Today at Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Austin Poganski Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Assign Aquin, Vail to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- JC Beaudin Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Penguins, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- San Diego Trips up Eagles in Overtime, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Finish Rally in OT - San Diego Gulls
- Rally Finished in Shootout, a 5-4 Reign Win - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Earn Point in Shootout Loss at Ontario - San Jose Barracuda
- Hot Start Ushers Roadrunners To Win In Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Score Three Unanswered Goals in a 4-3 Victory over the T-Birds - Laval Rocket
- Heat Roll to 7-3 Victory over Bakersfield Saturday - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.