Hot Start Ushers Roadrunners To Win In Iowa
Armed with a three-goal first period the Roadrunners picked up a 4-1 victory Saturday night over the Iowa Wild.
Establishing a controlling presence in the opening minutes, it was only six minutes into the contest when Kyle Capobianco gave Tucson their first advantage. After receiving a pass to the point from Andy Miele, the third-year Roadrunner made three Iowa defenders miss with an outstanding toe drag before beating Mat Robson to make it 1-0.
76 seconds after Capobianco's dazzling move, a forced turnover by Jeremy Gregoire allowed Kevin Hancock to setup Jon Martin for his first of the evening, giving the Roadrunners a lead of a pair.
To conclude the first, Brayden Burke extended his league-lead in power play goals to nine following a seeing-eye feed from Nick Merkley. In an impressive display, all five Roadrunners touched the puck within just seven seconds before the team moved their lead to 3-0.
Tucson's lead moved to four to start the second period with Jon Martin's second of the night and eighth on the year. The 24-year-old power forward batted home another in front of the net, concluding his team's scoring for the night and putting the Roadrunners in cruise control for the duration of regulation.
The only shot of the evening to beat Ivan Prosvetov was a shorthanded breakaway for Iowa late in the second period. Stopping 26 in the win, the native of Moskva, Russia now has earned six wins in seven starts.
Four Roadrunners recorded multiple point nights in the win, including the first of Kevin Hancock's pro career (two assists).
THEY SAID IT
"We knew that they had played in Milwaukee last night and they traveled after the game. They're a good team and we knew we needed to start right off the bat, so that's what we did."
Roadrunners forward Jeremy Gregoire shedding light to Iowa's 7-1 loss Friday night in Milwaukee, which they then followed with a near six-hour bus ride back to their home city for the first time in nearly two weeks. Knowing the Wild arrived back around roughly 5 a.m., the Roadrunners came ready to go from the opening puck drop, knowing it would be a tired opponent.
DON'T OVERLOOK IT
As the season continues to grow elder, more and more of an accurate assessment can be made on the young goaltender Ivan Prosvetov. Now with seven games played at the AHL level and five more in the ECHL, a combined record of 10-2 with an averaged save percentage of just under .940, these numbers will begin to grab some attention both internally and externally.
While just under the league's current margin of 480 minutes to ranked as "qualified", if he were eligible, his save percentage would be leading the league and his goals against average (2.13) would rank within the top five.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2019
- Rampage Rally Falls Short in Loss to Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Lose in Overtime to Hershey, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Rally Past Penguins, Sweep Rivalry Weekend - Hershey Bears
- The Force Awakens with the IceHogs on Star Wars Night - Rockford IceHogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Lettieri's Pair Pace Wolf Pack in 4-1 Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Canes Recall Gauthier from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Marlies and Rampage Close out Back to Back Today at Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Austin Poganski Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Assign Aquin, Vail to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- JC Beaudin Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Penguins, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- San Diego Trips up Eagles in Overtime, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Finish Rally in OT - San Diego Gulls
- Rally Finished in Shootout, a 5-4 Reign Win - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Earn Point in Shootout Loss at Ontario - San Jose Barracuda
- Hot Start Ushers Roadrunners To Win In Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Score Three Unanswered Goals in a 4-3 Victory over the T-Birds - Laval Rocket
- Heat Roll to 7-3 Victory over Bakersfield Saturday - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.