Sacramento squeaks by Fresno 7-6 in 10 to avoid sweep
West Sacramento, Calif. - For the second straight evening, the Fresno Grizzlies (18-17) and Sacramento River Cats (17-18) went to extras, with Sacramento clipping Fresno 7-6 in 10 innings. The Grizzlies were looking for their first sweep of the season and fifth straight victory, but the River Cats rallied for a run in the ninth and one more run in the 10th to steal the series finale.
Ryan Howard scored the game-winner in the bottom of the 10th after getting into a pickle. The throw by Carter Kieboom nailed Howard in the shoulder, allowing him to scamper home. Sacramento plated the tying run in the previous frame when Brock Stassi's two-out double notched Mike Yastrzemski. Three River Cats also homered in the contest (Ronnie Freeman, Henry Ramos and Levi Michael).
Collin Cowgill sparked the Fresno offense with a dinger on the very first pitch of the game, his eighth of the year. Later, Jacob Wilson added to the longball list, stretching his team-leading 12th over the left field wall. Wilson expanded the current team-high hit streak to eight games. Brandon Snyder and Carter Kieboom pounded RBI doubles while Taylor Gushue and Wilson recorded RBI singles in the defeat.
Jordan Mills (0-1) suffered the loss for the Grizzlies while Tyler Rogers (2-1) secured the decision for the River Cats. Fresno drops to 45-23 against Sacramento, and 28-8 on the road at Raley Field since the beginning of the 2015 season. The Grizzlies also fell to 3-2 in extras.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 3B Jacob Wilson (2-5, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- CF Collin Cowgill (1-4, HR, RBI, 2 R, BB)
- C Taylor Gushue (2-4, RBI)
- SS Carter Kieboom (1-3, 2B, RBI, R, BB)
Top Performers: Sacramento River Cats (San Francisco Giants)
- LF Henry Ramos (2-4, HR, 2 RBI, R, BB)
- C Ronnie Freeman (1-3, HR, RBI, R, BB)
- 3B Levi Michael (1-4, HR, RBI, R, BB)
- CF Mike Yastrzemski (2-3, 3 R, 2 BB)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Saturday May 11 Albuquerque Isotopes (Home) RHP Austin Voth (Fresno) vs. RHP Jeff Hoffman (Albuquerque) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / KAIL-13
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Jacob Wilson owns the Grizzlies' current team-high hit streak at eight games. In that span, he is 15-for-33 with eight extra-base hits, 10 RBI, seven runs and seven walks. He leads the team with 12 homers. Fresno finished 7-2 on the road trip, with Wilson helping the cause.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Los Corazones' Comeback Falls Short - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Has Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped in Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- TKTK - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Rally Late, Stun Aviators 8-7 in 11 Innings - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Tripped By Tanielu, Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chasers Top Cubs 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bonifacio's Blasts Not Enough, Express Top Chasers 8-7 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Come Back to Top Dodgers 3-2 - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Take Opener from Nashville, 7-5 - Memphis Redbirds
- Miscues Haunt Iowa in 4-3 Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville's Comeback Falls Short in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Ice Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Third in a Row to San Antonio - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-22) vs. Memphis Redbirds (18-17) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 11, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (18-17) vs Nashville Sounds (12-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Winning with Three Outfield Standouts - San Antonio Missions
- Smith Hammers Go-Ahead Homer to Jolt Rainiers to Third-Straight over Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Comeback Win for Bees After 11 Innings in Vegas - Salt Lake Bees
- Tacoma Plays Comeback Kids for Third Time in Three Days - Reno Aces
- Sacramento squeaks by Fresno 7-6 in 10 to avoid sweep - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats win on walk-off pickle in extras - Sacramento River Cats
- Melville Quiets Chihuahua Bats - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Missions Comeback Late to Defeat Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Pitchers' Duel Goes in Isotopes Favor with 2-1 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Top Storm Chasers 8-7 to Win Series - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rally, Come up Short against Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.