Sacramento squeaks by Fresno 7-6 in 10 to avoid sweep
West Sacramento, Calif. - For the second straight evening, the Fresno Grizzlies (18-17) and Sacramento River Cats (17-18) went to extras, with Sacramento clipping Fresno 7-6 in 10 innings. The Grizzlies were looking for their first sweep of the season and fifth straight victory, but the River Cats rallied for a run in the ninth and one more run in the 10th to steal the series finale.
Ryan Howard scored the game-winner in the bottom of the 10th after getting into a pickle. The throw by Carter Kieboom nailed Howard in the shoulder, allowing him to scamper home. Sacramento plated the tying run in the previous frame when Brock Stassi's two-out double notched Mike Yastrzemski. Three River Cats also homered in the contest (Ronnie Freeman, Henry Ramos and Levi Michael).
Collin Cowgill sparked the Fresno offense with a dinger on the very first pitch of the game, his eighth of the year. Later, Jacob Wilson added to the longball list, stretching his team-leading 12th over the left field wall. Wilson expanded the current team-high hit streak to eight games. Brandon Snyder and Carter Kieboom pounded RBI doubles while Taylor Gushue and Wilson recorded RBI singles in the defeat.
Jordan Mills (0-1) suffered the loss for the Grizzlies while Tyler Rogers (2-1) secured the decision for the River Cats. Fresno drops to 45-23 against Sacramento, and 28-8 on the road at Raley Field since the beginning of the 2015 season. The Grizzlies also fell to 3-2 in extras.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 3B Jacob Wilson (2-5, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- CF Collin Cowgill (1-4, HR, RBI, 2 R, BB)
- C Taylor Gushue (2-4, RBI)
- SS Carter Kieboom (1-3, 2B, RBI, R, BB)
Top Performers: Sacramento River Cats (San Francisco Giants)
- LF Henry Ramos (2-4, HR, 2 RBI, R, BB)
- C Ronnie Freeman (1-3, HR, RBI, R, BB)
- 3B Levi Michael (1-4, HR, RBI, R, BB)
- CF Mike Yastrzemski (2-3, 3 R, 2 BB)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Saturday May 11 Albuquerque Isotopes (Home) RHP Austin Voth (Fresno) vs. RHP Jeff Hoffman (Albuquerque) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / KAIL-13
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Jacob Wilson owns the Grizzlies' current team-high hit streak at eight games. In that span, he is 15-for-33 with eight extra-base hits, 10 RBI, seven runs and seven walks. He leads the team with 12 homers. Fresno finished 7-2 on the road trip, with Wilson helping the cause.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Los Corazones' Comeback Falls Short - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Has Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped in Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- TKTK - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Rally Late, Stun Aviators 8-7 in 11 Innings - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Tripped By Tanielu, Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chasers Top Cubs 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bonifacio's Blasts Not Enough, Express Top Chasers 8-7 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Come Back to Top Dodgers 3-2 - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Take Opener from Nashville, 7-5 - Memphis Redbirds
- Miscues Haunt Iowa in 4-3 Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville's Comeback Falls Short in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Ice Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Drop Third in a Row to San Antonio - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-22) vs. Memphis Redbirds (18-17) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 11, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (18-17) vs Nashville Sounds (12-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Winning with Three Outfield Standouts - San Antonio Missions
- Smith Hammers Go-Ahead Homer to Jolt Rainiers to Third-Straight over Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Comeback Win for Bees After 11 Innings in Vegas - Salt Lake Bees
- Tacoma Plays Comeback Kids for Third Time in Three Days - Reno Aces
- Sacramento squeaks by Fresno 7-6 in 10 to avoid sweep - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats win on walk-off pickle in extras - Sacramento River Cats
- Melville Quiets Chihuahua Bats - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Missions Comeback Late to Defeat Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Pitchers' Duel Goes in Isotopes Favor with 2-1 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Top Storm Chasers 8-7 to Win Series - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rally, Come up Short against Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th
- Chukchansi Park to Host the Official Selena Tejano Tribute Festival
- Fresno Grizzlies Release 2020 Promotional Schedule; Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale TODAY
- A League of Her Own
- Fresno Grizzlies and DICK's Sporting Goods to Host MLB Jr. Home Run Derby