Rush Forward Les Reaney And Rookie Goaltender Danny Battochio Named To CHL All-Star Team
(Rapid City, SD) - On Thursday afternoon, the Central Hockey League announced that Rush stars Les Reaney and Danny Battochio have been voted to the 2010 CHL All-Star Team. This will mark the first all-star nod for Reaney, a second-year pro, as well as rookie Danny Battochio. The CHL All-Stars will take on the South Texas All-Star Team on Wednesday, January 13th.
"Being one of only four teams with more than one player selected to participate in the all-star game is a true testament to how well the club has played this season," said Head Coach Joe Ferras. "We're very pleased and proud of Les and Danny to be selected and for the level of play they have shown for being a rookie and second-year pro."
"Having Les briefly last year, he proved he was going to be a great pro," continued Ferras. "To have him from the start of this season and have him leading our team in scoring, as well as being a physical presence, is proof positive that Les is going to have a bright future in front of him."
Reaney currently leads the Rush and is tied for 7th in the league with 38 points. The Ceylon, Saskatchewan native also leads the Rush in assists (25), tied for second in goals (13), and third in rating (+7). Reaney picked up the first Rush hat trick at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center on December 5th against the Tulsa Oilers. Reaney played 8 games for Rapid City at the start of the 2008-09 season where he collected 5 goals, including a game-winning goal for the first win in Rush history (10/24 @ CRP). The forward is just three points away for 100 in his young professional career (33-64-97).
"It feels great to be voted on as an all-star," said Reaney. "It's an honor to represent the Rapid City Rush, a first-class organization in a first-class town. I realize that both Danny & I are being recognized, but it would not be possible without the help of our great teammates. This selection could have gone to a number of other players on this squad."
"Danny's win/loss record speaks for itself and his performance has been instrumental in the club's success," stated Ferras. "His work ethic and level of professionalism has set him apart from any first year player that I've coached. He's very deserving of this honor."
Battochio has been stellar in his rookie campaign and is currently tied for 3rd in the league with a.920 save percentage and 5th with a 2.51 goals-against average. The Lively, Ontario native has posted a 9-3-1 record and won six straight starts from November 25th through December 15th. Back on October 24th, Battochio picked up the first win of his young career as he stopped 40 of 43 shots and helped kill off six of Arizona's seven powerplay chances for a 4-3 overtime victory.
"It's an honor to be an all-star here in my first season," said Battochio. "As a rookie, I'm just looking to put my team in a position to win night in and night out. The goal is to win hockey games and go deep into the post-season, individual awards are just icing on the cake."
Battochio played the last 3 years with St. Francis Xavier University as their starting goaltender and was co-MVP for the 2008-09 season. The 5'10" 175-pound netminder hails from Sudbury, Ontario and posted a 3.30 goals-against average and.893 save percentage last season.
The Rush take on the Amarillo Gorillas tonight at 6:05pm MST. Fans can listen to the broadcast on 100.3 the FOX or at foxradio.com.
Other Rush News:
Flex Packs are available for as little as $160, call the Rush office to learn more. Quarter and Half Season Ticket passes are available starting at just $100.
Group tickets are available and start at $11. Groups of 15 or more receive two complimentary tickets to the same game. Contact the Rush office at 605.716.7825 for more information.
Stay informed on Rush happenings through the official Rapid City Rush team website, www.RapidCityRush.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2009
- Rush Celebrate The New Year, Complete Perfect Road Trip - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop League-Leading Seventh One-Goal Loss Of Season, Fall 3-2 To Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Bees Edge Sundogs On New Year's Eve - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Happy New Year, IceRays Beat Bucks 5-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas End Year With Loss, Lose 4-2 To 'Jacks - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Former Gorilla Seals Amarillo's Fate In The Shootout - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bartholomay, Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- No Happy New For For Bucks, Fall 5-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Win Streak Ends In 5-1 Loss To Colorado - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks End 2009 With 4-2 Win Over Texas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mole, PK End '09 On High Note - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Close 2009 With A 3-0 Victory Over Wichita - Allen Americans
- Clayton, Carroll Named To CHL All-Decade Team, Carroll Earns All-Star Nod - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Defends Honor In Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Ulanski Joins Other Eagles As All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Bruce Graham Named To CHL All-Star Team - Allen Americans
- Sundogs' Landry To Skate In 2010 CHL All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Amarillo's Smale Earns 2010 All-Star Selection - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mavericks' Christian Named To All-Star Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Leveille Named To CHL All-Star Game - Odessa Jackalopes
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Star Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- 2010 CHL All-Star Team Reserves Announced - CHL
- Rush Forward Les Reaney And Rookie Goaltender Danny Battochio Named To CHL All-Star Team - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs To Unveil Alternate Black Jersey Tonight Against The Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Parsons Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- CHL All-Decade Team Announced - CHL
- Bucks' Jeff Bes Named To All Decade Team - Laredo Bucks
- Duda Honored As One Of Decade's Best - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Ticketing Director Kristin Hinkins Makes Jump To NFL - Arizona Sundogs
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.