Duda Honored As One Of Decade's Best
WICHITA, KS- The Wichita Thunder learned Thursday that veteran left wing and current Head Coach Jason Duda has been named to the Central Hockey League's All-Decade Second Team as a forward.
Duda, now in his 14th season as a member of the Thunder, is the franchise's all-time leader in games played (730), goals (337), assists (533), and points (870). The 34-year old Duda broke each of those records last season, eclipsing former teammate and fellow All-Decade Team member Travis Clayton.
In one of the most memorable moments in Thunder history, Duda scored the series-clinching overtime goal against the Oklahoma City Blazers, the team that traded him to Wichita, in Game Four of the first round of the 1997 playoffs.
The Sexsmith, Alberta native has been named the Thunder's Most Valuable Player three times, including last season. Duda is second all-time in the CHL in games played, third in goals and assists, and fourth in points.
Duda got off to a hot start this season, scoring five points in five games before landing on the IR with a back injury. Duda has served as the Thunder's Head Coach since mid-November. He and his wife Deah recently welcomed their second child, a baby boy Jackson. Duda was placed on the Season-Ending IR earlier this week and is expected to undergo back surgery in 2010.
It was also announced today that Thunder defenseman Jim Jorgensen has been selected to the CHL All-Star Game as a reserve. Jorgensen's 12 points are best on the team among blue liners. The Sault Ste Marie, MI native scored a goal and two assists in a win versus Tulsa on October 23rd. This year's All-Star Game is scheduled for January 13th at the Laredo Entertainment Center in Laredo, TX. The format is similar to last season's game in that the host Laredo Bucks will team with the Corpus Christi IceRays and Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees to form a squad that will take on Jorgensen and the rest of the CHL's All-Stars.
The Thunder wraps up 2009 tonight at 5:05 p.m. when they host the expansion Allen Americans in the first ever meeting between the two teams. For tickets, call the Thunder office at (316) 264-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2009
- Rush Celebrate The New Year, Complete Perfect Road Trip - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop League-Leading Seventh One-Goal Loss Of Season, Fall 3-2 To Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Bees Edge Sundogs On New Year's Eve - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Happy New Year, IceRays Beat Bucks 5-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas End Year With Loss, Lose 4-2 To 'Jacks - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Former Gorilla Seals Amarillo's Fate In The Shootout - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bartholomay, Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- No Happy New For For Bucks, Fall 5-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Win Streak Ends In 5-1 Loss To Colorado - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks End 2009 With 4-2 Win Over Texas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mole, PK End '09 On High Note - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Close 2009 With A 3-0 Victory Over Wichita - Allen Americans
- Clayton, Carroll Named To CHL All-Decade Team, Carroll Earns All-Star Nod - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Defends Honor In Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Ulanski Joins Other Eagles As All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Bruce Graham Named To CHL All-Star Team - Allen Americans
- Sundogs' Landry To Skate In 2010 CHL All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Amarillo's Smale Earns 2010 All-Star Selection - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mavericks' Christian Named To All-Star Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Leveille Named To CHL All-Star Game - Odessa Jackalopes
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Star Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- 2010 CHL All-Star Team Reserves Announced - CHL
- Rush Forward Les Reaney And Rookie Goaltender Danny Battochio Named To CHL All-Star Team - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs To Unveil Alternate Black Jersey Tonight Against The Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Parsons Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- CHL All-Decade Team Announced - CHL
- Bucks' Jeff Bes Named To All Decade Team - Laredo Bucks
- Duda Honored As One Of Decade's Best - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Ticketing Director Kristin Hinkins Makes Jump To NFL - Arizona Sundogs
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.