Americans Close 2009 With A 3-0 Victory Over Wichita
WICHITA, Kansas - The Allen Americans closed out 2009 by defeating the Wichita Thunder 3-0 at the Kansas Coliseum and earning their twentieth win. Goalie Charlie Effinger earned his second shutout of the season, and the victory brings Allen's record to 20-7-2 (42 points).
The Americans scored first at 14:17 of the opening period when goaltender Charlie Effinger passed the puck ahead to Nathan O'Nabigon, who fired a shot past Wichita netminder Ian Keserich. Effinger became the first goalie in club history to record an assist.
Allen went up 2-0 in the second frame after Christian Gaudet scored a power play goal at 16:27.
A frustrated Wichita team started taking penalties late in the third, giving Allen several power plays. Tyler Wooddisse scored with 27 seconds remaining in the game with the man advantage to seal the Americans win and bring the final score to 3-0.
Effinger had his second start since being activated from goaltender IR. He made 33 saves in his second shutout of the season.
Allen hosts Colorado Friday, Jan. 1, and Laredo Saturday, Jan. 2 to wrap up their three games in three days stretch. Both games begin at 7:30 p.m.
The boxscore is available here: http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/boxscore.html?gameid1067639
Single Game Tickets on sale now Tickets start as low as $7. To order, call 1-866-4-GET-TIX (1-866-443-8849), go to gettix.net or stop by the Allen Event Center Box Office. The Box Office is open from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday. Fans interested in 10 tickets or more to any one game or tickets to multiple games are encouraged to speak with an Allen Americans representative regarding group discounts and savings off walk-up prices at 972.912.1000.
The Americans, the Dallas Stars' CHL affiliate, began play this fall in the newly built Allen Event Center in The Village at Allen. Season tickets, partial plans and group tickets are on sale now, and corporate partnerships are also available. Ticket plans start as low as $77 per seat. For information, call 972.912.1000 or visit allenamericans.com. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2009
- Rush Celebrate The New Year, Complete Perfect Road Trip - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop League-Leading Seventh One-Goal Loss Of Season, Fall 3-2 To Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Bees Edge Sundogs On New Year's Eve - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Happy New Year, IceRays Beat Bucks 5-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas End Year With Loss, Lose 4-2 To 'Jacks - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Former Gorilla Seals Amarillo's Fate In The Shootout - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bartholomay, Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- No Happy New For For Bucks, Fall 5-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Win Streak Ends In 5-1 Loss To Colorado - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks End 2009 With 4-2 Win Over Texas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mole, PK End '09 On High Note - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Close 2009 With A 3-0 Victory Over Wichita - Allen Americans
- Clayton, Carroll Named To CHL All-Decade Team, Carroll Earns All-Star Nod - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Defends Honor In Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Ulanski Joins Other Eagles As All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Bruce Graham Named To CHL All-Star Team - Allen Americans
- Sundogs' Landry To Skate In 2010 CHL All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Amarillo's Smale Earns 2010 All-Star Selection - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mavericks' Christian Named To All-Star Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Leveille Named To CHL All-Star Game - Odessa Jackalopes
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Star Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- 2010 CHL All-Star Team Reserves Announced - CHL
- Rush Forward Les Reaney And Rookie Goaltender Danny Battochio Named To CHL All-Star Team - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs To Unveil Alternate Black Jersey Tonight Against The Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Parsons Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- CHL All-Decade Team Announced - CHL
- Bucks' Jeff Bes Named To All Decade Team - Laredo Bucks
- Duda Honored As One Of Decade's Best - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Ticketing Director Kristin Hinkins Makes Jump To NFL - Arizona Sundogs
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allen Americans Stories
- Americans Announce Players at AHL Camps
- Americans Sign Rookie Forward from the Western League
- Team-Record Seven Americans Players Headed to Minnesota Wild Training Camp
- Americans Add Former Stars Draft Pick, and University of Denver Defenseman to the Mix
- Americans Announce Signing of Defenseman Kayle Doetzel