No Happy New For For Bucks, Fall 5-3
LAREDO, TX- The Laredo Bucks of the Central Hockey League fell to the Corpus Christi Ice Rays 5-3 on New Year's Eve Thursday night at the Laredo Entertainment Center. The Bucks winless streak is extended to six games (0-3-3) as they fall to 13-10-6 (32 points).
The Ice Rays won their third straight game for the first time this season.
Jarred Mohr (1-12) and Jeff Bes (0-22) had two point nights for the Bucks but it was not enough to stop the bad luck.
The Ice Rays jumped out in front of the Bucks for the third straight game when they made it 1-0 at the 10:44 mark. R.G Flath took a drop pass from Chad Costello at the top of the slot and scored on a slap shot. The marker was Flath's sixth of the season.
The Bucks were outshot in the first period 17-11.
Each team scored two quick goals in the second period to give Corpus a 3-2 edge after two periods.
The Bucks picked up two power-play goals in 1:13 seconds to take a 2-1 advantage halfway through the period.
Jarred Mohr tied the game at 1-1 when he scored on a snap shot from the point seven minutes into the period. Mohr tied a career high with his third goal of the season.
Just 1:18 seconds later Neil Trimm put the Bucks up 2-1 as he extended his goal streak to four games. Trimm has also scored a goal in four straight games against the Ice Rays.
Corpus would re-take the lead when they struck for two goals in less than a minute to go up 3-2.
Matt Smyth would tie the game at 2-2 when he scored from the point off of the face off with 3:11 left in the period.
Jereme Tendler would put the Ice Rays up 3-2 less than a minute later when he scored from the left side of the crease off of a pass from Justin Quenneville.
The Bucks outshot the Ice Rays 15-7 in the second period.
Justin Quenneville made it 4-2 Corpus when he jammed in a rebound on the right side of the crease.
Corpus would extend their lead to 5-2 when Ryan Garbutt scored a shorthanded goal just 7:13 into the third period.
Darryl Smith cut the Ice Rays lead to 5-3 when he scored from the top of the right circle with 10:13 left in the third period. Smith now has 13 goals on the season.
Kevin Nastiuk won his third straight game against the Bucks as he set aside 30 of 33 shots.
Pier Pelletier fell in his Bucks debut as he set aside 27 of 32 shots.
The Bucks fall to 6-2 all-time in New Year's Eve.
The Bucks last six game winless streak was during the 2004-05 season when they went 0-5-1 from October 29-November 12, 2004.
The Bucks played with just 14 skaters Thursday night as Curtis Billsten was scratched for the third straight game with a lower-body injury while Mike Looby was scratched with an upper-body injury.
Laredo will travel to Allen Saturday night before hosting Texas Sunday at the LEC.
**FAMILY FOUR PACK AVAILABLE JAN. 3RD**
Sunday January 3rd the Bucks are back at the LEC when they host Texas at 4pm.
The family four pack is available, get four tickets, four hot dogs and four sodas for just $48! Call 718-BUCK (2825) to order now!
There will be a post-game skate with the entire Bucks team that night as well.
**BUCKS HOST RIVAL COLORADO JAN. 8TH**
On Friday January 8th the Bucks will host rival Colorado at the LEC. Group tickets start at just $10, call 718-BUCK (2825) to order now.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2009
- Rush Celebrate The New Year, Complete Perfect Road Trip - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop League-Leading Seventh One-Goal Loss Of Season, Fall 3-2 To Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Bees Edge Sundogs On New Year's Eve - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Happy New Year, IceRays Beat Bucks 5-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas End Year With Loss, Lose 4-2 To 'Jacks - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Former Gorilla Seals Amarillo's Fate In The Shootout - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bartholomay, Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- No Happy New For For Bucks, Fall 5-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Win Streak Ends In 5-1 Loss To Colorado - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks End 2009 With 4-2 Win Over Texas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mole, PK End '09 On High Note - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Close 2009 With A 3-0 Victory Over Wichita - Allen Americans
- Clayton, Carroll Named To CHL All-Decade Team, Carroll Earns All-Star Nod - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Defends Honor In Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Ulanski Joins Other Eagles As All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Bruce Graham Named To CHL All-Star Team - Allen Americans
- Sundogs' Landry To Skate In 2010 CHL All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Amarillo's Smale Earns 2010 All-Star Selection - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mavericks' Christian Named To All-Star Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Leveille Named To CHL All-Star Game - Odessa Jackalopes
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Star Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- 2010 CHL All-Star Team Reserves Announced - CHL
- Rush Forward Les Reaney And Rookie Goaltender Danny Battochio Named To CHL All-Star Team - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs To Unveil Alternate Black Jersey Tonight Against The Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Parsons Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- CHL All-Decade Team Announced - CHL
- Bucks' Jeff Bes Named To All Decade Team - Laredo Bucks
- Duda Honored As One Of Decade's Best - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Ticketing Director Kristin Hinkins Makes Jump To NFL - Arizona Sundogs
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.