Happy New Year, IceRays Beat Bucks 5-3
The IceRays held their own New Year's Eve party in Laredo featuring five different goal and their third straight win in a 5-3 victory over the Laredo Bucks. The win was their third straight over the Bucks and the fourth Corpus Christi win in the last five games. The victory improved the IceRays record to 12-14-4 on the season and 5-2-1 versus the Bucks. The IceRays return to the American Bank Center to host the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Friday night at 5:05pm on New Year's Day. It's Frosty Friday where fans can get half-price 24 oz. beers and sodas at the game. Please note the special 5:05pm start time. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The IceRays got the only goal of the first period when Chad Costello found R.G. Flath in the slot where he beat Pier Pelletier at 10:44 for his sixth goal of the season at 10:44. It was the eighth time in the last 12 games that Corpus Christi struck first. The IceRays peppered the Bucks net throughout the frame, outshooting the Bucks 17-11 - after outshooting them 15-6 in the first period on Tuesday night. The IceRays took a 1-0 lead into the second period.
The Bucks came back to claim the lead midway through the second thanks to a pair of quick power play goals. Jarred Mohr scored on screened shot from the point at 7:00 of the period to tie the score 1-1. Then Neil Trimm chipped a shot from the right circle over the shoulder of IceRays goaltender Kevin Nastiuk at 8:13 to give the Bucks a 2-1 advantage. It appeared that lead would hold for the remainder of the period, but the IceRays responded with a quick pair of their own late in the frame. Matt Smyth scored his second goal in three games with a slap shot off an offensive zone faceoff win at 17:49. Then 37 seconds later at 18:26, Justin Quenneville found Jereme Tendler at the edge of the left circle while being pulled down and Tendler scored to give the IceRays the lead back at 3-2. The Bucks outshot the IceRays 15-7 in the period, but the IceRays went into the third with a one-goal lead.
The rays put the game away in the third. Quenneville scored on a rebound at 3:30 to make it 4-2, and then Ryan Garbutt scored a shorthanded goal at 7:13 to make it 5-2. The Bucks Darryl Smith scored to close the gap at 9:47, but that's as close as Laredo got.
Kevin Nastiuk (7-8-2) earned the win making 30 saves on 33 shots while Pier Pelletier (0-1) made 27 saves on 32 shots suffering the loss in his Bucks debut. The IceRays power play went 0-6 and the Bucks went 2-8. The IceRays were outshot by the Bucks 33 -32 in the game. The IceRays would like to wish all of of their fans, sponsors and season ticket holders a safe and happy new year.
The IceRays return to the American Bank Center to host the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Friday night at 5:05pm on New Year's Day. It's Frosty Friday where fans can get half-price 24 oz. beers and sodas at the game. Please note the special 5:05pm start time. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2009
- Rush Celebrate The New Year, Complete Perfect Road Trip - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop League-Leading Seventh One-Goal Loss Of Season, Fall 3-2 To Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Bees Edge Sundogs On New Year's Eve - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Happy New Year, IceRays Beat Bucks 5-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas End Year With Loss, Lose 4-2 To 'Jacks - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Former Gorilla Seals Amarillo's Fate In The Shootout - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bartholomay, Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- No Happy New For For Bucks, Fall 5-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Win Streak Ends In 5-1 Loss To Colorado - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks End 2009 With 4-2 Win Over Texas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mole, PK End '09 On High Note - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Close 2009 With A 3-0 Victory Over Wichita - Allen Americans
- Clayton, Carroll Named To CHL All-Decade Team, Carroll Earns All-Star Nod - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Defends Honor In Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Ulanski Joins Other Eagles As All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Bruce Graham Named To CHL All-Star Team - Allen Americans
- Sundogs' Landry To Skate In 2010 CHL All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Amarillo's Smale Earns 2010 All-Star Selection - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mavericks' Christian Named To All-Star Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Leveille Named To CHL All-Star Game - Odessa Jackalopes
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Star Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- 2010 CHL All-Star Team Reserves Announced - CHL
- Rush Forward Les Reaney And Rookie Goaltender Danny Battochio Named To CHL All-Star Team - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs To Unveil Alternate Black Jersey Tonight Against The Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Parsons Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- CHL All-Decade Team Announced - CHL
- Bucks' Jeff Bes Named To All Decade Team - Laredo Bucks
- Duda Honored As One Of Decade's Best - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Ticketing Director Kristin Hinkins Makes Jump To NFL - Arizona Sundogs
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale