IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale
The Corpus Christi IceRays will enter the playoffs on a two-game winning streak thanks to a 6-3 win over the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees at the State Farm Arena on Saturday night in the regular season finale. Six different IceRays scored as Corpus Christi ended the season four points better than the Bees for the Southern Conference's final playoff spot. Corpus Christi finished the year 30-26-8 on the season with identical 15-13-4 records at home and on the road. The IceRays will now open the 2010 CHL Ray Miron's Presidents' Cup Playoffs on Monday night at 7:05pm when they host the Texas Brahmas at the American Bank Center. Call 361.814.PUCK or visit www.goicerays.com for more information.
With the playoffs no longer at stake in the hockey game, the IceRays and Killer Bees still played a very entertaining opening period. The frame was wide open and featured plenty of scoring chances and three goals inside a minute and a half span. The Killer Bees got it started when Zak McClellan poked home a loose puck after Aaron Lee's two-on-one shot deflected off the glove of goaltender Kris Tebbs at 10:21. The IceRays answered 29 seconds after that when Steve Later scored from the slot to tie the score. Then 52 seconds after that at 11:42, Ryan Bennett scored from the right circle to finish off a rush into the zone to make it 2-1 IceRays. The score held throughout the period and the Rays outshot the Bees 15-10 in the period.
The IceRays increased their lead to 3-1 at 3:55 of the second period when Chad Woollard scored on the power play for his 40th goal of the year. He reached the 40-goal milestone for the third time in his career, and became the fourth IceRays player to ever scored 40 goals in a season. The Killer Bees answered on a power play of their own at 6:21 when Sean Muncy scored on a rebound in the crease. The Bees outshot the IceRays 12-10 in the period, with Corpus Christi taking a 3-2 lead into the final frame.
Muncy scored again to tie the game for Rio Grande Valley at 11:14 with his second goal and third point of the night. But the IceRays erupted for three goals in the final five minutes. Adam Powell scored at 15:03 from the crease to make it 4-3. Then 70 seconds later, Chris Richards scored a power play goal. Matt Smyth put the final stamp on the game with a goal at 19:25.
Kris Tebbs (4-5-3) earned the win, making 33 saves on 36 shots. Wylie Rogers (9-9-3) took the loss making 31 saves on 37 shots. The IceRays power play went 2-7 and the Bees went 1-4. The IceRays outshot the Bees 37-36 in the game.
The IceRays will open the 2010 CHL Ray Miron's Presidents' Cup Playoffs on Monday night at 7:05pm when they host the Texas Brahmas at the American Bank Center. It's the only home game of the best-of-three Southern Conference Opening Round Series. Tickets are currently on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets, www.ticketmaster.com or the American Bank Center Box Office. Call 361.814.PUCK or visit www.goicerays.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2010
- Eagles End Regular Season With Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Drop Final Game of the Regular Season 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Golf Tournament Rescheduled; Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Brahmas Top 'Bugs to End Regular Season - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans end regular season with 5-3 win over Gorillas in front of a sellout crowd - Allen Americans
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Enter Playoffs After Another Win Over Tulsa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Earn Franchise Record 48th Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Bring The Thunder, Win Finale 7-4 - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Ends Season With Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Amarillo Ends Season in Allen - Amarillo Gorillas
- Texas Heads Into Postseason With Win, Beat Bugs 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Get Your Playoff Tickets Now - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Close Out Regular Season Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs Down Mavs On "Jim Sprott Night" - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs to Open Playoffs Against Eagles - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Rush Win Northern Conference Title Despite 5-4 Shootout Loss to Gorillas - Rapid City Rush
- Nothing Special: 'Dogs Net 7 on Special Teams in Win - Colorado Eagles
- Arizona Tallies Franchise-Record Six Power-Play Goals in 7-6 Win - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale