Brahmas Top 'Bugs to End Regular Season
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, TX - The Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs couldn't overcome an early 3-0 deficit in their regular season finale Saturday night at the NyTex Sports Centre, falling 4-2 to the Texas Brahmas. The Mudbugs finish 2009-10 with a record of 38-22-4 (80 points) and will now spend the next five days preparing for Friday's playoff opener against the Colorado Eagles.
The Bugs climbed back within one after falling behind 3-0 in the first period, but would get no closer. Jamie Milam and David Rutherford scored the goals for Bossier-Shreveport, who finishes the year with a 4-4-0 record against the rival Brahmas. Texas didn't take long to go in front in this one, scoring just 24 seconds in to take a 1-0 lead. The Mudbugs then started to take the period over, outshooting the Brahmas 10-2 at one point, but they couldn't solve Joe Palmer to get on the scoreboard. Late in the period, Grant Jacobsen scored a powerplay goal and Lee Jubinville followed at even strength only 26 seconds later to suddenly give Texas a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes. The Bugs outshot the Brahmas 12-10 in the first.
The second period was evenly played by the teams, but the intensity ramped up at 11:12 when Brett Smith was cross-checked hard into the boards by Ross Rouleau. James DeLory immediately stepped in to fight Rouleau, quickly knocking him down and then taking care of Tyler Skworchinski, who jumped into the fray as the third man in. DeLory and Skworchinski were given misconducts for their roles in the melee'. The Bugs then broke the goose-egg in the final minute of the period when Milam followed a shot and backhanded his own rebound through Palmer's five-hole to make it 3-1 after two.
Rutherford got Bossier-Shreveport within a goal at 3-2 just 34 seconds into the third period, beating Palmer stick-side from the high slot to draw the Bugs closer. Less than three minutes later though, Adam Chorneyko rifled a shot over DeCaro's glove to extend the lead back to 4-2 for Texas and complete the scoring.
John DeCaro stopped 22 shots and saw his personal four-game win streak snapped, while Palmer improved to 3-0-1 against the Bugs with 29 saves. The Mudbugs finished with a 31-26 shot advantage, but finished 0 for 4 on the powerplay. Texas converted 1 of 5 powerplay chances.
With the regular season now concluded, the Mudbugs will prepare for their Northern Conference Semifinal playoff series against the Colorado Eagles. Games 1 and 2 in the series are set for next Friday and Saturday at 8:05 pm Central time at the Budweiser Events Center. The series will then shift to Bossier-Shreveport for Game 3 on Tuesday, March 30 at 7:05 pm. Games 4 and 5 (if necessary) will also be at the CenturyTel Center on Thursday and Friday, April 1 and 2.
Complete Mudbugs playoff ticket packages are available now and single-game Mudbugs playoff tickets will go on sale at 10:00 am on Monday. For more information, call the team office at 752-BUGS or visit www.mudbugshockey.com.
Individual tickets to all Mudbugs home games are available at the CenturyTel Center main box office, through Ticketmaster at (318) 741-9700 or online at www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2010
- Eagles End Regular Season With Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Drop Final Game of the Regular Season 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Golf Tournament Rescheduled; Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Brahmas Top 'Bugs to End Regular Season - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans end regular season with 5-3 win over Gorillas in front of a sellout crowd - Allen Americans
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Enter Playoffs After Another Win Over Tulsa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Earn Franchise Record 48th Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Bring The Thunder, Win Finale 7-4 - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Ends Season With Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Amarillo Ends Season in Allen - Amarillo Gorillas
- Texas Heads Into Postseason With Win, Beat Bugs 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Get Your Playoff Tickets Now - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Close Out Regular Season Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs Down Mavs On "Jim Sprott Night" - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs to Open Playoffs Against Eagles - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Rush Win Northern Conference Title Despite 5-4 Shootout Loss to Gorillas - Rapid City Rush
- Nothing Special: 'Dogs Net 7 on Special Teams in Win - Colorado Eagles
- Arizona Tallies Franchise-Record Six Power-Play Goals in 7-6 Win - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.