Thunder Ends Season With Loss
LAREDO, TX- The Wichita Thunder lost 7-4 to the Laredo Bucks at the Laredo Energy Arena on Saturday night. The Bucks scored four times in the first to open a commanding 4-0 lead. Darryl Smith carried the puck from the neutral zone to the right side of the Thunder goal line, cut towards the crease, and lifted a shot over the right shoulder of Ian Keserich 1:40 into the game. Neil Trimm scored on an open backdoor less than one minute later at the 2:24 mark. At 7:27, Maxime Lincourt buried a one-time shot to the short side of the net after getting a pass from the blue line from Curtis Bilsten. Eric Giosa connected on a one-timer to Keserich's left at 14:56 to give Laredo a four-goal advantage.
Wichita pulled within three, but not before the Bucks extended their lead. Todd Griffith cleaned up a rebound in the slot at 16:51 in the second to make it 5-0. At 19:06, Anders Strome bounced a shot from the point during a Thunder power play to get Wichita on the board. 44 seconds later, Ryan Campbell slipped a loose puck around the left arm of Kevin Desfosses during a scramble in front of the Laredo crease.
Laredo answered back with two scores in the third. Keserich appeared to stop a breakaway shot from Ryan Lehr, but the puck rolled just over his shoulder at 7:52. Chris Bilsten scored at 8:38 to make it 7-2. Wichita again tried to rally, finding a pair of goals from Bobby Hughes at 12:18 and 15:40, but could cut into the lead any further.
Ian Keserich took the loss, saving 32 of 39. Kevin Desfosses earned the win saving 22 of 26. Wichita was 1 for 4 on the power play while going 2 for 2 on the penalty kill.
Season ticket deposits for the 2010-11 season are now being accepted. For more information, call the Thunder office at (316) 264-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2010
- Eagles End Regular Season With Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Drop Final Game of the Regular Season 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Golf Tournament Rescheduled; Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Brahmas Top 'Bugs to End Regular Season - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans end regular season with 5-3 win over Gorillas in front of a sellout crowd - Allen Americans
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Enter Playoffs After Another Win Over Tulsa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Earn Franchise Record 48th Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Bring The Thunder, Win Finale 7-4 - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Ends Season With Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Amarillo Ends Season in Allen - Amarillo Gorillas
- Texas Heads Into Postseason With Win, Beat Bugs 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Get Your Playoff Tickets Now - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Close Out Regular Season Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs Down Mavs On "Jim Sprott Night" - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs to Open Playoffs Against Eagles - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Rush Win Northern Conference Title Despite 5-4 Shootout Loss to Gorillas - Rapid City Rush
- Nothing Special: 'Dogs Net 7 on Special Teams in Win - Colorado Eagles
- Arizona Tallies Franchise-Record Six Power-Play Goals in 7-6 Win - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.