Mudbugs Down Mavs On "Jim Sprott Night"
BOSSIER CITY, LA - John DeCaro made 27 saves to earn his second shutout of the season and the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs scored four third-period goals on their way to a 5-0 victory over the Missouri Mavericks Friday night at the CenturyTel Center. The win came on "Jim Sprott Night" at the CTC as the Mudbugs retired the #33 jersey of their former Captain during the 2009-10 regular season home finale.
All five Bossier-Shreveport goals came in the final 23 minutes of play as the 'Bugs won their season series with the Mavericks 3-1-1. Scott Kalinchuk, Jamie Milam and David Rutherford all finished with multiple points in the game as the Mudbugs won their fourth straight.
For the third consecutive game, the Mudbugs skated to a scoreless first period despite outshooting the Mavericks 9-5. The scoreless deadlock continued until the late stages of the second period, when Dave Pszenyczny scored from in tight to give the 'Bugs a 1-0 advantage.
David Rutherford extended the lead to 2-0 early in the third period, scoring off the rush during a delayed penalty call against Missouri. The margin became 3-0 when Tyrel Lucas picked up a rebound in front and slid it past a sprawled-out Charlie Effinger at 7:36 of the third. Just under two minutes later, Joe Blaznek ripped a perfect shot from the left circle into the top corner over Effinger's shoulder to make it 4-0. Scott Kalinchuk then provided the final margin on the powerplay, burying a long slapshot to finish off the 5-0 victory.
John DeCaro improved to 24-13-1 with his 14th career shutout, while Charlie Effinger stopped 24 shots in the loss. Bossier-Shreveport finished with a 29-27 edge in shots and converted 1 of 4 powerplays, while Missouri was 0 for 4 on the man-advantage.
The Mudbugs will now head to North Richland Hills, Texas for tomorrow's regular season finale against the Texas Brahmas at the NyTex Sports Centre. Opening faceoff is set for 7:05 pm with pregame coverage starting at 6:45 on News Radio 710 AM KEEL. The game will also be shown live on CHL TV.
Season and group tickets are on sale by calling 318-752-BUGS (2847) or by visiting our website at www.mudbugshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2010
- Eagles End Regular Season With Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Drop Final Game of the Regular Season 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Golf Tournament Rescheduled; Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Brahmas Top 'Bugs to End Regular Season - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans end regular season with 5-3 win over Gorillas in front of a sellout crowd - Allen Americans
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Enter Playoffs After Another Win Over Tulsa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Earn Franchise Record 48th Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Bring The Thunder, Win Finale 7-4 - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Ends Season With Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Amarillo Ends Season in Allen - Amarillo Gorillas
- Texas Heads Into Postseason With Win, Beat Bugs 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Get Your Playoff Tickets Now - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Close Out Regular Season Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs Down Mavs On "Jim Sprott Night" - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs to Open Playoffs Against Eagles - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Rush Win Northern Conference Title Despite 5-4 Shootout Loss to Gorillas - Rapid City Rush
- Nothing Special: 'Dogs Net 7 on Special Teams in Win - Colorado Eagles
- Arizona Tallies Franchise-Record Six Power-Play Goals in 7-6 Win - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.