Former Gorilla Seals Amarillo's Fate In The Shootout
Amarillo, TX 12/31/09 - As Thursday's game went to a shootout, former Amarillo Gorillas forward Scott Wray earned the game-winning goal, defeating Amarillo 6-5 in a shootout.
A misplayed puck in the Amarillo zone led to the first goal of the game. Gorillas goaltender Mike Brown sent the puck up the far wall that was intercepted by Rush forward Jon Pelle. Pelle zipped the puck from the far corner into the back of the Amarillo goal 3 minutes into the period. Five minutes later, defenseman James Jernberg rifled a shot off a Stuart MacRae face-off win, tying the game at one. Amarillo 1 Rapid City 1 after one.
Man advantage markers ruled the second period, with Rapid City scoring twice on the power-play. Amarillo struck once on the power-play, as forward Jake Morissette one-timed his shot past Rapid City netminder Danny Battochio for his first home goal since November 21st. Down by one with four minutes remaining, Stuart MacRae diced his way through a Rush defenseman and back-handed his shot past Battochio for his fourteenth goal of the season. After two periods of play, Amarillo 3 Rapid City 3.
David Nimmo found the twine twice in the third period, giving Amarillo the 5-4 lead with 45 seconds in the third period. With the extra attacker, Rapid City shot the puck from the far circle and the rebound went to pivot Brendon Hodge who dumped home the game's tying goal. Amarillo 5 Rapid City 5 after regulation.
Overtime did not yield a goal, as the game went to a shootout. Jake Morissette scored the lone goal for Amarillo. With the shootout tied at one at the top of the fifth round, former Gorillas forward now Rapid City forward Scott Wray scored five-hole on Mike Brown. The Gorillas didn't score in the bottom half of the fifth, as Rapid City won the shootout 2-1 and the game 6-5.
With Jernberg's goal in the first frame, Amarillo has notched a first period tally in 6 of their last 7 games.Credited with a goal and an assist, Stuart MacRae has points in 10 of his last 11 home games.David Nimmo has registered back-to-back multi-goal games for a total of 4.
Amarillo will start the New Year with the game in Odessa, Texas tomorrow, January 1, 2010. The Gorillas are taking on the Jackalopes for the seventh time this season. Fans may catch the game on 1440 AM ESPN Radio & CHL-TV beginning 6:55pm CST.
The AMARILLO GORILLAS are offering multiple promotional deals during the month of January. Log on to amarillogorillas.com or call our office at (806) 242-PUCK (7825) for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2009
- Rush Celebrate The New Year, Complete Perfect Road Trip - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop League-Leading Seventh One-Goal Loss Of Season, Fall 3-2 To Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Bees Edge Sundogs On New Year's Eve - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Happy New Year, IceRays Beat Bucks 5-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas End Year With Loss, Lose 4-2 To 'Jacks - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Former Gorilla Seals Amarillo's Fate In The Shootout - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bartholomay, Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- No Happy New For For Bucks, Fall 5-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Win Streak Ends In 5-1 Loss To Colorado - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks End 2009 With 4-2 Win Over Texas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mole, PK End '09 On High Note - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Close 2009 With A 3-0 Victory Over Wichita - Allen Americans
- Clayton, Carroll Named To CHL All-Decade Team, Carroll Earns All-Star Nod - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Defends Honor In Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Ulanski Joins Other Eagles As All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Bruce Graham Named To CHL All-Star Team - Allen Americans
- Sundogs' Landry To Skate In 2010 CHL All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Amarillo's Smale Earns 2010 All-Star Selection - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mavericks' Christian Named To All-Star Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Leveille Named To CHL All-Star Game - Odessa Jackalopes
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Star Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- 2010 CHL All-Star Team Reserves Announced - CHL
- Rush Forward Les Reaney And Rookie Goaltender Danny Battochio Named To CHL All-Star Team - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs To Unveil Alternate Black Jersey Tonight Against The Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Parsons Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- CHL All-Decade Team Announced - CHL
- Bucks' Jeff Bes Named To All Decade Team - Laredo Bucks
- Duda Honored As One Of Decade's Best - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Ticketing Director Kristin Hinkins Makes Jump To NFL - Arizona Sundogs
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.