Mole, PK End '09 On High Note
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Colorado Eagles celebrated New Year's Eve with a 5-1 win against the Missouri Mavericks in their first trip to the Independence Events Center. Colorado had five different goal scorers while Mike Mole stopped 44 of 45 shots and the Eagles' penalty-killers went a perfect 14-14 -- coming up huge in a game where the Mavericks held a 14-5 edge in power plays.
The Eagles jumped out to an early lead with a pair of goals just 40 seconds apart in the early going. Ed McGrane got the game's first goal after Ryan McLeod found him crashing through the slot 1:39 in. Then, at 2:19, Colorado's top line tallied as Kevin Ulanski padded his league-leading point total with a goal from down low.
Colorado then took a 3-0 lead into the first intermission when Jim Jackson put home a McLeod rebound on the power play at 17:54. The Eagles not only scored a power-play goal of their own, but their penalty-killers stymied all three Mavericks' opportunities in the opening frame.
Aaron Schneekloth, who was voted an All-Star starter earlier in the week -- and named to the CHL's All-Decade 2nd Team earlier in the day -- made it 4-0 with the team's second power-play goal 1:24 into the second period by firing a puck past Alexandre Vincent. But veteran Jeff Christian cut into Colorado's lead with a goal at 9:35 when he was able to backhand a shot past the Eagles' goalie after being left alone in the low slot.
Colorado's penalty-killing units continued to excel in the final frame in which Eagles players were called for all six of the period's penalties. Mole continued to come up big in net as well, stopping all 19 Mavericks' shots in the stanza. And at 11:31, Adam Hogg sent a cross-slot pass to Alex Penner for a 5-1 lead.
The Eagles will travel to Texas where they finish a set of three games in three nights with a contest against the Allen Americans on Friday and the Texas Brahmas on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2009
- Rush Celebrate The New Year, Complete Perfect Road Trip - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop League-Leading Seventh One-Goal Loss Of Season, Fall 3-2 To Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Bees Edge Sundogs On New Year's Eve - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Happy New Year, IceRays Beat Bucks 5-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas End Year With Loss, Lose 4-2 To 'Jacks - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Former Gorilla Seals Amarillo's Fate In The Shootout - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bartholomay, Oilers Edge RiverKings In Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
- No Happy New For For Bucks, Fall 5-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Win Streak Ends In 5-1 Loss To Colorado - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks End 2009 With 4-2 Win Over Texas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mole, PK End '09 On High Note - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Close 2009 With A 3-0 Victory Over Wichita - Allen Americans
- Clayton, Carroll Named To CHL All-Decade Team, Carroll Earns All-Star Nod - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Defends Honor In Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Ulanski Joins Other Eagles As All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Bruce Graham Named To CHL All-Star Team - Allen Americans
- Sundogs' Landry To Skate In 2010 CHL All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Amarillo's Smale Earns 2010 All-Star Selection - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mavericks' Christian Named To All-Star Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Leveille Named To CHL All-Star Game - Odessa Jackalopes
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Star Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- 2010 CHL All-Star Team Reserves Announced - CHL
- Rush Forward Les Reaney And Rookie Goaltender Danny Battochio Named To CHL All-Star Team - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs To Unveil Alternate Black Jersey Tonight Against The Killer Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- Parsons Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- CHL All-Decade Team Announced - CHL
- Bucks' Jeff Bes Named To All Decade Team - Laredo Bucks
- Duda Honored As One Of Decade's Best - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Ticketing Director Kristin Hinkins Makes Jump To NFL - Arizona Sundogs
- Landmesser Named To CHL All-Decade Team - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction