Rox Blank Honkers, Sweep Rochester at the Rock Pile
St. Cloud, MN - St. Cloud (41-23) tallied 17 hits in an 8-0 win over Rochester in the series finale. Nick DeSalvo (LIU-Brooklyn) pitched seven scoreless innings and earned the win in his first start of the summer. The Rox magic number to clinch a playoff berth and the second half of the Great Plains West Division is three games.
Hance Smith (California-Berkeley) got the scoring started in the first inning, blasting a leadoff home run to center field. Jack Kelly (Minnesota) later doubled to center field and scored Garett Delano (Brown) to put the Rox ahead 2-0.
St. Cloud extended their lead to 4-0 in the fourth inning as Ulises Caballero (California Baptist) and Luke Ira (South Dakota State) both claimed RBI singles.
Gus Steiger (South Dakota State) and Ira had RBI singles in the sixth inning while Smith had a sac-fly RBI. The Rox went ahead 8-0 in the seventh inning after Ben Carew (Kent State) singled and scored Delano. Carew finished 4-4 at the plate, one hit shy of tying the Rox single-game record for hits.
Following the stellar start from DeSalvo, Justin Wick (Creighton) hurled the final two innings and struck out four batters.
For the full box score from game Sunday's game, click here.
The Rox now open a two-game road series against Mankato on Monday and Wednesday. Both games begin at 6:35 p.m. at Franklin Rogers Ballpark.
St. Cloud returns home against Rochester on Thursday, August 8th at 7:05 p.m. It's Media Madness Bobblehead Bracket Night presented by Capital One. It's also Polka Night as a band will be playing outside the ballpark at 5:45 p.m.
All single games tickets can be purchased in person at the Rox Ticket Office located at the Municipal Athletic Complex, by calling the Rox Ticket office at 320-240-9798 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday or 24 hours a day by visiting www.stcloudrox.com.
Images from this story
St. Cloud Rox pitcher Justin Wick
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Eau Claire Fails to Comeback in Willmar - Eau Claire Express
- Express Defeat Stingers - Eau Claire Express
- Rochester's Rally Falls Short - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Blank Honkers, Sweep Rochester at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Top Express - Willmar Stingers
- Sean Repay, Wyatt Ulrich and Larks Say Goodbye with a Win - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Score Four Times in Second, Barringer Shines for Weekend Sweep over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Sweep Jackrabbits to Close Homestand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Booyah Split Season Series with Pit Spitters - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Struggles Continue in Loss to Fond du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Drill Rivets 12-3 to Close Road Swing - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Swept 4-2 by Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Sweep Lakeshore in Sunday Marathon - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Chinooks Swept by Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers Drop Final Home Game of Season - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Sweep Bombers on 6-3 Victory - Kenosha Kingfish
- Four in a Row for the Spideys - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Border Cats Win 4-2 to Sweep Duluth - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks Unable to Comeback Against Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rafters Wrap up Homestand in Finale against Jackrabbits - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Squash Bombers 15-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Win Exhilarating Match-Up against Mallards - Rockford Rivets
- KZoo Falls at Fond Du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.