KZoo Falls at Fond Du Lac
Fond du Lac, WI. - The Kalamazoo Growlers (32-31, 16-15) dropped their fifth straight game in a tough 5-2 defeat to the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (30-35, 16-13) at Herr-Baker Field Saturday evening. The Growlers now fall to 1-8 against Great Lakes West opponents.
Fond du Lac struck first in the opening frame as Tim Elko grounded into a fielder's choice to take an early 1-0 lead. The Dock Spiders added a pair of insurance runs in the third on a RBI single and another fielder's choice to extend their lead to 3-0.
The Dock Spiders tallied their final two runs in the fourth on a two-run single courtesy of Otto Grimm to stretch the margin to 5-0. Kalamazoo attempted to mount a rally in the eighth as Nick Neville (South Carolina) drilled a two-run double to center to cut the deficit to 5-2, but it would not be enough.
The Growlers bullpen posted a strong effort as Jarrett Smetana (Kent State) and David Toth (Hillsdale College) tossed 4 1/3 combined scoreless innings with four strikeouts. Fond du Lac starter Evan Sankey earned the win in his Dock Spiders debut. Kalamazoo starter Spencer Juergens (Missouri) took the loss, falling to 3-3.
The Kalamazoo Growlers conclude the series with Fond du Lac tomorrow afternoon from Herr-Baker Field. First pitch is slated for a 1:05 p.m. start.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Eau Claire Fails to Comeback in Willmar - Eau Claire Express
- Express Defeat Stingers - Eau Claire Express
- Rochester's Rally Falls Short - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Blank Honkers, Sweep Rochester at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Top Express - Willmar Stingers
- Sean Repay, Wyatt Ulrich and Larks Say Goodbye with a Win - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Score Four Times in Second, Barringer Shines for Weekend Sweep over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Sweep Jackrabbits to Close Homestand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Booyah Split Season Series with Pit Spitters - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Struggles Continue in Loss to Fond du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Drill Rivets 12-3 to Close Road Swing - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Swept 4-2 by Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Sweep Lakeshore in Sunday Marathon - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Chinooks Swept by Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers Drop Final Home Game of Season - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Sweep Bombers on 6-3 Victory - Kenosha Kingfish
- Four in a Row for the Spideys - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Border Cats Win 4-2 to Sweep Duluth - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks Unable to Comeback Against Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rafters Wrap up Homestand in Finale against Jackrabbits - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Squash Bombers 15-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Win Exhilarating Match-Up against Mallards - Rockford Rivets
- KZoo Falls at Fond Du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.