MoonDogs Score Four Times in Second, Barringer Shines for Weekend Sweep over Bucks
Waterloo, Iowa - The Mankato MoonDogs scored four times in the second inning and it was all they'd need to complete a sweep of the Waterloo Bucks. Excellent starting pitching that nearly went the distance on Sunday afternoon was the difference maker for the Dogs in a 4-2 final.
The Dogs scored first on Sunday with four runs in the second. Garrett Gilbert (Creighton) slapped a bases-clearing double then, Nick Novak (Angelo State) plated an RBI of his own with a base knock. The score was 4-0 after the second in favor of Mankato.
Patrick Ferguson (Kent State) and Mike Nyisztor (Rutgers) knocked the ball around a bit near the end. Each recorded RBI singles, one came in the eighth and the other in the ninth. However, it wasn't enough to hold off the Dogs as Mankato completed the sweep with the 4-2 series finale win in Waterloo.
Novak and Gilbert were the offensive forces on Sunday afternoon. Novak went 2-3 with an RBI and two free passes. Gilbert had the game-winning hit in the second, a bases-clearing RBI double that scored three.
The win went to Mankato's southpaw, Shane Barringer (Bellarmine), after he pitched an electrifying eight innings. He gave up six hits and a run while walking and striking four out. Then Brett Newberg (Austin Peay) came in for his 2nd relief appearance of the summer. The fourth-year veteran was looking to keep his save percentage perfect as a reliever in 2019, he did just that. Newberg surrendered a run but got the job done while allowing a pair of hits. He walked one a struck out one.
The loss went to Waterloo's starting arm, Noah Conlon (UC- San Diego), after he went 5.2 frames on Sunday. Conlon surrendered four runs, seven hits, walked three and retired four on strikes.
Due up for the Dogs:
Tomorrow night, the Mankato MoonDogs (32-34) are back at The Frank to play host to the St. Cloud Rox (42-23). The scheduled arm for the Dogs is Newberg. He will dish out the first pitch to get the game underway at 6:35 p.m. at Franklin Rogers Park in Mankato, Minn.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Eau Claire Fails to Comeback in Willmar - Eau Claire Express
- Express Defeat Stingers - Eau Claire Express
- Rochester's Rally Falls Short - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Blank Honkers, Sweep Rochester at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Top Express - Willmar Stingers
- Sean Repay, Wyatt Ulrich and Larks Say Goodbye with a Win - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Score Four Times in Second, Barringer Shines for Weekend Sweep over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Sweep Jackrabbits to Close Homestand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Booyah Split Season Series with Pit Spitters - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Struggles Continue in Loss to Fond du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Drill Rivets 12-3 to Close Road Swing - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Swept 4-2 by Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Sweep Lakeshore in Sunday Marathon - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Chinooks Swept by Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers Drop Final Home Game of Season - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Sweep Bombers on 6-3 Victory - Kenosha Kingfish
- Four in a Row for the Spideys - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Border Cats Win 4-2 to Sweep Duluth - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks Unable to Comeback Against Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rafters Wrap up Homestand in Finale against Jackrabbits - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Squash Bombers 15-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Win Exhilarating Match-Up against Mallards - Rockford Rivets
- KZoo Falls at Fond Du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mankato MoonDogs Stories
- MoonDogs Finish Season on Losing Streak After Facing Bucks Thursday
- Stingers Dominate MoonDogs to Secure Sweep
- MoonDogs Get Stung in Franklin Rogers Park Finale against StingersÃÂ
- Martinez, Rox Rock MoonDogs to Complete Series Sweep in Final MatchupÃÂ
- Mills, Rox Blow by MoonDogs with Two-Hit Showing on the HillÃÂ