Eau Claire Fails to Comeback in Willmar
Willmar, MN - The Eau Claire Express (16-12) could not comeback against the Willmar Stingers (15-14) on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. After falling behind early, the Express loaded the bases in the top of the 9th. They could not get a runner to score as Eau Claire fell to Willmar by a final of 4-1.
Lakeland University Postgame Recap
Willmar jumped out to an early 2-0 lead after two runs scored in the bottom of the 1st inning. The Stingers plated these runs on double and an RBI single.
The Express cut the Stinger lead to 2-1 in the top of the 3rd inning. Sam Kohnle (Winona State) started with a double. Kohnle advanced to third and came around to score on an error by Willmar's second baseman.
The Stingers added two more runs in the bottom of the 7ht inning on two Express errors and an RBI single to go up 4-1.
Eau Claire threatened in the top of the 9th inning by loading the bases. Alec Trela (Memphis) walked, Nick Marinconz (Cal Poly) reached on a fielder's choice, and Brandon Dieter (Stanford) singled. However, a double play in the next at bat ended the inning and the Express threat.
Nick Alvarado (Illinois-Springfield) took the loss after going 5.0 innings and giving up two runs on four hits and five walks. Kuster Kinlecheenie (Montevallo) entered for 2.0 innings, allowing two unearned runs. Alec Baker (Dallas Baptist) pitched a scoreless 9th and struck out a batter.
The Express return home to Carson Park on Monday, August 5th for a 6:35 pm first pitch. It's Bus'ting at the Seams School Supply Drive night! School is almost back in session and Student Transit want you to help them fill the bus with supplies for area schools. Check out our social media for a chance to uncover a special discount at tonight's game.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Eau Claire Fails to Comeback in Willmar - Eau Claire Express
- Express Defeat Stingers - Eau Claire Express
- Rochester's Rally Falls Short - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Blank Honkers, Sweep Rochester at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Top Express - Willmar Stingers
- Sean Repay, Wyatt Ulrich and Larks Say Goodbye with a Win - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Score Four Times in Second, Barringer Shines for Weekend Sweep over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Sweep Jackrabbits to Close Homestand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Booyah Split Season Series with Pit Spitters - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Struggles Continue in Loss to Fond du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Drill Rivets 12-3 to Close Road Swing - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Swept 4-2 by Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Sweep Lakeshore in Sunday Marathon - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Chinooks Swept by Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers Drop Final Home Game of Season - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Sweep Bombers on 6-3 Victory - Kenosha Kingfish
- Four in a Row for the Spideys - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Border Cats Win 4-2 to Sweep Duluth - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks Unable to Comeback Against Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rafters Wrap up Homestand in Finale against Jackrabbits - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Squash Bombers 15-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Win Exhilarating Match-Up against Mallards - Rockford Rivets
- KZoo Falls at Fond Du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.