Growlers Struggles Continue in Loss to Fond du Lac
Fond du Lac, Wis. - The Kalamazoo Growlers (16-16, 32-32) fell to the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (17-13, 31-35) by a final score of 6-3.
The Growlers have now tied their season-high in consecutive losses, with six in a row.
Fond du Lac led 3-0 after the first on a two-run single by Aaron Anderson (Flagler) to score Sam Novitske (Oregon) and Zack Prajzner (Notre Dame). The next run was scored on an RBI single by Tate Kolwyck (Vanderbilt) to bring home Anderson.
Ralph Gambino (0-3, Penn State) would only allow one hit over the next four innings, with only two base runners.
Kalamazoo got on the board with two in the fifth on an RBI double by Khale Showers (Northwood), who scored two batters later on a triple by Joel Brewer (South Carolina).
The Growlers tied the game at three in the sixth on an RBI double from Clay Owens (U of Southern California) to score Trent Quartermaine (KVCC/Ball State).
KZoo would only muster two hits in the final two frames, while Fondy took a 5-3 after six.
The Dock Spiders added an insurance run in the ninth, supported by a sacrifice fly from Kellen Sarver (Illinois) to score Cam McMillan (Vanderbilt).
Kyle Hall (3-1, Indiana Wesleyan) earned the win after two scoreless innings in relief. He also added one strikeout to his line and allowed one hit.
Brock Weirather (1, Grinnell) gained his first save of the summer as well in the victory.
The Kalamazoo Growlers head to Wausau, Wis., to take on the Wisconsin Woodchucks tomorrow for a 6:05 p.m. CT/ 7:05 p.m. ET ballgame. Christian Johnson (Gustavus Adolphus) is slated to take the hill for the Growlers.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Eau Claire Fails to Comeback in Willmar - Eau Claire Express
- Express Defeat Stingers - Eau Claire Express
- Rochester's Rally Falls Short - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Blank Honkers, Sweep Rochester at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Top Express - Willmar Stingers
- Sean Repay, Wyatt Ulrich and Larks Say Goodbye with a Win - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Score Four Times in Second, Barringer Shines for Weekend Sweep over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Sweep Jackrabbits to Close Homestand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Booyah Split Season Series with Pit Spitters - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Struggles Continue in Loss to Fond du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Drill Rivets 12-3 to Close Road Swing - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Swept 4-2 by Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Sweep Lakeshore in Sunday Marathon - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Chinooks Swept by Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers Drop Final Home Game of Season - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Sweep Bombers on 6-3 Victory - Kenosha Kingfish
- Four in a Row for the Spideys - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Border Cats Win 4-2 to Sweep Duluth - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks Unable to Comeback Against Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rafters Wrap up Homestand in Finale against Jackrabbits - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Squash Bombers 15-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Win Exhilarating Match-Up against Mallards - Rockford Rivets
- KZoo Falls at Fond Du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.