Rochester's Rally Falls Short
Rochester, MN - The Honkers needed a win against first-place St. Cloud if they were going to surpass the Rox and reach the playoffs, but that wasn't in the cards as St. Cloud raced out to a 5-0 lead and held on for a 5-3 win.
Rochester's starting pitcher Marty Tolson Jr. (Maryland-Eastern Shore) took a 4-1 record into the game, but St. Cloud offense still managed to get two runners into scoring position in the first inning. Gus Steiger and Jordan Barth hit back to back singles and both stole their next base.
Steiger scored on an error by Honkers' catcher Austin Schell (Golden West College) to give the Rox a 1-0 lead.
After a quiet second inning, Steiger and Barth once again propelled the St. Cloud to more runs. Steiger hit a single and Barth followed with a two-run home run.
Up 3-0, Rox' starting pitcher Trevor Koenig continued to roll as he allowed just one hit throughout the fourth and fifth innings.
Unfortunately, St. Cloud continued to add to its lead in the bottom of the fifth. Garett Delano got it started with a single, Jack Kelly reached on an error by first baseman Tristan Peterson (New Mexico State), and Freddy Achecar loaded the bases with a single.
Ben Carew then came up and laced a two-run single into the outfield to give the Rox a 5-0 lead.
Anthony Rodriguez (Monroe College) relieved Tolson Jr. in the sixth inning and he pitched two nearly perfect innings, giving up just one walk in the seventh.
However, Koenig kept up his great performance by giving up only one hit in the seventh and eighth inning.
Casey Nimmo (San Diego Mesa) followed Rodriguez's lead by not allowing any hits in a scoreless eighth inning.
Still down 5-0, the Honkers' offense finally faced a new pitcher, Joey Stock, in the top of the ninth. Peterson led-off the inning with a single and advanced to second base on a passed ball.
Schell reached first base on an error by Rox' third baseman Barth, Peterson scored, and Schell advanced to second base.
Down to their final out, Schell advanced to third base on a passed ball and Mitchell Allen (New Mexico State) reached first base on a single.
Schell scored to bring Rochester within three runs, 5-2. Aaron Simmons (Wisconsin-Stevens Point) drew a walk and Evan Berkey (Cal State-Bakersfield) also drew a walk to load the bases.
Kyler McMahan (Oregon State) drew the Honkers' third straight walk to score Allen and just like that the Flock were down by just two runs, 5-3, with the bases still loaded.
But Blake Stelzer relieved Stock and he retired Andy Armstrong (Oregon State) to end the game.
The 5-3 loss drops the Honkers' second half record to 16-14, five and a half games behind first-place St. Cloud.
McMahan was named the Profile Sanford Player of the Game for going 2-4 with an RBI and a walk.
The two-game series against the Rox concludes on Sunday, August 4, at 4:05 p.m. The Flock return home on Monday, August 5, when they host the Willmar Stingers at 6:35 p.m.
Season tickets and new all-you-can-eat ticket packages are available for purchase right now at www.RochesterHonkers.com or by calling the Honkers front office at 507-289-1170.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Eau Claire Fails to Comeback in Willmar - Eau Claire Express
- Express Defeat Stingers - Eau Claire Express
- Rochester's Rally Falls Short - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Blank Honkers, Sweep Rochester at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Top Express - Willmar Stingers
- Sean Repay, Wyatt Ulrich and Larks Say Goodbye with a Win - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Score Four Times in Second, Barringer Shines for Weekend Sweep over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Sweep Jackrabbits to Close Homestand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Booyah Split Season Series with Pit Spitters - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Struggles Continue in Loss to Fond du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Drill Rivets 12-3 to Close Road Swing - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Swept 4-2 by Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Sweep Lakeshore in Sunday Marathon - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Chinooks Swept by Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers Drop Final Home Game of Season - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Sweep Bombers on 6-3 Victory - Kenosha Kingfish
- Four in a Row for the Spideys - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Border Cats Win 4-2 to Sweep Duluth - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks Unable to Comeback Against Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rafters Wrap up Homestand in Finale against Jackrabbits - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Squash Bombers 15-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Win Exhilarating Match-Up against Mallards - Rockford Rivets
- KZoo Falls at Fond Du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.